1st time with a PSI bolt action pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe Burns

Joe Burns

Here is my first attempt at a PSI bolt action kit. I like the heft and balance of this pen in the hand. I'm definitely making more.

Finish is Chrome.
Barrel is deer antler.

I probably should have brought the barrel down on the back side probably another 5 thousands. It's a little proud for my taste. I was scared of micro meshing through the CA.

What would you get for these pens? Im thinking about $50 with a nice case and an easy flow 9000 cartridge.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AKPenTurner

Great job, Joe!
I haven't tried that bolt kit, but it looks pretty cool.
I work with antler a lot in my pens, I've never had one look quite like that. Although, I don't use a whole lot of deer, more moose, caribou and elk. If the antler is really porous, I just fill it with CA on my way to the finish, usually doesn't really darken it.

If the finish is as nice as it looks in the pic, I'd say $50 is a little on the low end. Especially if you're putting it in a nice case.
Keep up the good work!

doc

Hi Joe. Your pen looks great. I really like the way the antler $50 since you are also adding a nice case in the deal. I just made my first barrel pen the other day too. I used blood wood for the barrel and it turned out quite nicely. I plan on giving it to a guy who runs a local shooting range. He's an ex sniper and I think he deserves it for his service to our country. I too will be making more soon. Steve

Joe Burns

I appreciate it everyone. Hmmm. $85, I may be a little low then, but I dont think I could get that regularly here. It sure did raise a buzz on my facebook page. Have ordered a couple of the KnB stainless and carbon blanks to try on this pen style.

Doc, congrats on the pen. Post some pictures and let us see.

Joe

Joe

McBryde

That pen turned out nicely Joe. I still can't determine if I like the kit or not though, there is just something about it that I am not sure of. Maybe too much metal on both ends, or something, but yours looks nice!

E

PaulDoug

Yes, you for sure did a great job on that pen. I think the deer antler is a natural choice for a pen like that. You did a great job on the finish on the antler. Sometimes that is not easy epically the marrow part. I have the same problem with that kit as McBryde, I'm just not sure I care for it. I just don't get a bullet with a bolt action. No such thing. But it is popular so that is what is important.

dbledsoe

Joe - I just did eight of them for a local gunshop using whitetail deer antler. I don't use CA at all unless I need to fill in some pits or voids. Deer antler polishes up really nice. I got $40 each for them selling to a retailer. I did not furnish cases, but I did include small walnut stands (2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 3/4) with a piece of antler to hold the pen.

Joe Burns

I appreciate it. I hear you on the "something about" comments. The metal on both ends don't really bother me. My hang up is the bolt and the direction it is turned. Doesn't seem quite right comparing it to the way a rifle works.

I prefer the style of bullet pen components that Eric at Little River crafts sells. This one is easy to make. It sure did generate a lot of buzz when I posted the picture on Facebook. Have consignments for 3 more with antler already.

Top Bottom