1st time with CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wudnhed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wudnhed

Hi guys, Did these 2 pens today with CA finish. 1st and 2nd attempt at it. I think I like it but need more practice.

2006111745319_becca1%20(2).jpg

200611174547_becca%20(2).jpg

20061117153123_bec.jpg

20061117153451_becc.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Becca,
Wow, that's a nice finish. I can never seem to get the hang of it. What are the woods? I'd guess that the bottom one is either zebrawood, or goncalo alves. You may want to move the pics to the top post, as folks may leave, thinking there are no pics.
Rob

martyb

That's an excellent finish for 1st and 2nd tries. Really something to be proud of.
One thing to work on, take a little more time sanding down the CA befor polishing. The top pen shows a few sanding rings towards the mating edges, the bottom shows a little, but could be more the photo. Don't feel this is an attack, it's something I'm REALLY struggling with and have trained myself to watch for. Those are both still excellent creations!
I'm trying to slow myself down when going through the finishing paying a little more attention to what/how I'm doing. I'm willing to put dollars to donuts that most everyone on this board has gone through the same learning curve. Someday, I hope to actually know this lessen!

Like Rob, I was having a "dandy" of a time getting used to the CA/BLO finish. My advice, start with one of the methods that people have described on these boards. And I say START with it, then you'll find yourself making little modifications and turning it into your own style. [:)]

kent4Him

Originally posted by martyb
<br />And I say START with it, then you'll find yourself making little modifications and turning it into your own style. [:)]

Amen. Figure out what works for you. If the finish turns out perfect, but you hate doing the method, it ain't worth it. You can't take the fun out of this. There's more than one way to skin a cat. There I go again being mean to cat lovers.[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom