1st self cast resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DestinTurnings

Well...this is my first cast with PR. I love Acrylics/PR and have turned a ton but casting is new to me. I didn't use a pressure pot and it was just resin I picked up at Michael's. It was a four color pour into 3/4" PVC that I let sit for about 24hrs before I turned it.

It's a bit underturned at the center coupler as I was using a new set of bushings and the lower barel center is definitely a bit too large for the hardware. Guess thats what I get for not using the micrometer.

It was the first Cigar kit I have turned and come to think about it, this is also the first time posting in SOYP.

Sorry for the fuzzy pics but a better camera is in the works!

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Attachments

• CIMG2318.jpg
    CIMG2318.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 316
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Well that looks good to me. Nice blend of colors and a nice pearlesant to it.

You can usually get away without pressure if your not doing objects and just poring. Keep your MEKP to 3-4 drops per once let it set over night and you'll be fine.

Keep it up:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

SDB777

Four colors for a first pour....WOW! I've watched the wife do three color pours and it's pretty fun(to watch)....can't imagine what I'd hear coming from her with an additional cup to hold?!?!?!?

Looks like you got some great seperation in the colors too! Well timed and well done!!!!

Scott (monkey and a football) B

Gilrock

Well that looks really great... I notice it said first cast with PR...any experience pouring other materials cause most people don't start with 4 colors. Great result...I think I spent a lot more to get my first cast done. What did you use to color the resin?

BSea

WOW, I agree with most everyone else. 4 colors for your 1st pour is pretty ambitious. Great job!! :good: Did you reverse paint the blank?

I don't think you underturned at the coupler. The coupler is rounded, and I think it looks better to round the end of the blank to match. At least, that's what I do for cigars.

Sully

Great cast, this is another one of those pictures that's pushing to finish my big projects around the house and do my first casting. Hopefully July or August. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for all the responses. I kinda cheated when it came to the pour. I put a bent metal wire in the tube before I poured and then pulled it out with a twist once I finished. I used two colors at a time and just switched them out every second. I didn't pour all 4 at the same time. 3 drops MEKP per ounce and 24hrs to harden. The four colors were green, blue, purple, and the glitter....

I would have used a gunmetal but all I had was silver and gold and I don't think it would look good with the gold.

I reverse painted the blanks with black krylon.

As far as casting experience, this was my second container of resin. That being said, see attached picture for what I found when I pulled the can I had out of the pantry :)

Attachments

• IMAG1174.jpg
    IMAG1174.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 106

Drstrangefart

Thanks for all the responses. I kinda cheated when it came to the pour. I put a bent metal wire in the tube before I poured and then pulled it out with a twist once I finished. I used two colors at a time and just switched them out every second. I didn't pour all 4 at the same time. 3 drops MEKP per ounce and 24hrs to harden. The four colors were green, blue, purple, and the glitter....

I would have used a gunmetal but all I had was silver and gold and I don't think it would look good with the gold.

I reverse painted the blanks with black krylon.

As far as casting experience, this was my second container of resin. That being said, see attached picture for what I found when I pulled the can I had out of the pantry :)

I'm on the fence with the gold. I can see where it COULD work on that blank, but if it doesn't it would be REALLY obvious.

Top Bottom