1st real attempt at knot..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from USAFVET98

USAFVET98

It's not a pen, but it is my first real attempt at celtic knot. I took neils advice and tilted the bed of my bandsaw and didnt cut all the way through. By the way Neil, my bandsaw does tilt. Anyway, I did this real quick to see if I can. I tilted the bed to 45 degrees. I used quilted maple for the base and x-cut bloodwood for the inlays.

Critiques and pointers are needed so i could get this right..

Thanks

Attachments

• bow and knot 001.jpg
    bow and knot 001.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 217
  • bow and knot 002.jpg
    bow and knot 002.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 180
  • bow and knot 003.jpg
    bow and knot 003.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 147
  • bow and knot 005.jpg
    bow and knot 005.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 174
  • bow and knot 006.jpg
    bow and knot 006.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shull

Great first try. Practice Practice Practice. One thing to check...It appears that your depth of cut is not consistant thus throwing the rings off. Make sure that the start and end points are consistant all the way around the blank. Hope this helps.

maxman400

Also, (I found out the hard way) make sure your blank is Square all the way around, if not your cuts will not start in the same place on the blank. You on the right track, keep going.

John M

Yeah, almost looks as though it was not square ( or it was round ) and the cuts are not 90 degrees off each other. I am no means an expert, I have tried a couple. The are tricky, and you have to drill right down the center of the knot, which may not be the center of the blank if that makes sense.

randyrls

Critiques and pointers are needed so i could get this right..

Brian; I make celtic knot pens on a regular basis. The next IAP Tri-State chapter meeting is at 3:00pm Saturday July 11th at the Woodcraft store in Downingtown PA. If you want to attend, I can bring my jig used to make these. Let me know.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44546

I use a table saw, but I believe it could be used with a bandsaw. The jig is in the IAP library.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2008/celticknotjig.pdf

If you make the blank round before starting on the inlays, one trick someone told me about is to use a spreadsheet charting program. Create a list of the same numbers in the program highlight the numbers and create a pie chart, then print the chart and use it to mark the blank. You can create any number of marks (rings) using the charting program.

USAFVET98

I would love to go, unfortuntately it is 3 1/2 hours from me. I am considering setting up a secondary chapter closer to here such as stroudsburg area.

Brian; I make celtic knot pens on a regular basis. The next IAP Tri-State chapter meeting is at 3:00pm Saturday July 11th at the Woodcraft store in Downingtown PA. If you want to attend, I can bring my jig used to make these. Let me know.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44546

I use a table saw, but I believe it could be used with a bandsaw. The jig is in the IAP library.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2008/celticknotjig.pdf

If you make the blank round before starting on the inlays, one trick someone told me about is to use a spreadsheet charting program. Create a list of the same numbers in the program highlight the numbers and create a pie chart, then print the chart and use it to mark the blank. You can create any number of marks (rings) using the charting program.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I would have to say that the cuts and inlay are correct, it looks like you missed the center of the design when you drilled it out. I start with a square blank and once I have the inlays done, I turn it on a lathe between centers to center the design and then I drill it out on the lathe. Just keep at it, it took me a while to get mine to work the way I wanted them. I have found that I get a ton of practice blanks out of maple from a board from home depot. They cost less than a quarter a piece and I recently bought a bunch of very curly maple from there.

Top Bottom