1st post and 1st showing of my pens!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from doughogg

doughogg

Well here goes...
I guess you have to raise your head above the parapet at some point and show a wider audience than your wife and friends what it is you do in the shop all day...
To be fair, I do sell my pens but this is the first time I have shown them to an audience of fellow turners so be fairly gentle please.
The body is Ebonite which is unbelievably hard on the tools and equally so on the nose.
Not sure if I have the photography right yet either!!!
Hope you enjoy? :)

Attachments

• ebonite iap post.jpg
    ebonite iap post.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 425
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Nothing to be ashamed of there!! That looks amazing (much better than the one piece of ebonite I've tried). Thanks for sharing and welcome to the IAP.

Atherton Pens

Welcome to IAP from Georgia.
Looks like you are off to a good start with both your work and your photography. We all are looking for ways to improve both.
That's why we share ideas and techniques here.
Welcome, come early, stay late and post often.

Drstrangefart

GREAT GOOGELY MOOGELY (I just remembered I've kinda always wanted a reason to yell that) That's one sweet pen. I love how the surface looks, and the plating on the kit was exactly the right choice to make.

doughogg

Thank You

Thanks for all your kind and gentle words. It is heartening to get such nice feedback but I guess the honeymoon is over now and the next photo I post better stack up?:biggrin:
Seriously though, its easy to lock yourself away and think that what you produce is great. Its only by sticking your head above the parapet that you find out whether you are deluding yourself. I have been looking at a lot of the work posted on this site and following the links to members own sites and the quality of work show astounds me at times as does the sheer creativity of the work. A real eyeopener for me.
There does not seem to be the same vibrant pen-making (or for that matter, wood-turning and general woodworking) comunity in the UK as there is in certainly the USA.We all tend to lock ourselves away and only get together in forums like this. There are certainly clubs around but my experience of them has not been good. Perhaps I haven't found the UK contingent on the IAP yet so forgive me if I am wrong but I have never heard of meetings or symposiums in the UK. If I am wrong, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction as I would love to meet and get more involved.

Thanks again

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
There are certainly clubs around but my experience of them has not been good. Perhaps I haven't found the UK contingent on the IAP yet so forgive me if I am wrong but I have never heard of meetings or symposiums in the UK. If I am wrong, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction as I would love to meet and get more involved.

Thanks again

Hiya Doug, welcome to IAP.

Few years ago, Mark Ligget and a small bunch of us got together a few times and UKAP was born. We even had a small UK forum. But unfortunately a bad element set in and it kind of disolved.
We don't have IAP Chapters ( like our USA buddies) but perhaps now is the time to start one?
We have a few new UK members joining here and it is really great. But it would also be real good to see the rest of the older bunch too.

Maybe in the Spring or summer we should put a call out again and try and arrange a meeting.
Now....as you live in the posh Mink and Manure area of Cheshire, I vote we have our first meet at your place:biggrin::tongue:

Cheers
Steven

Top Bottom