1st post, 1st pens & pics of my shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spitfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitfire

TowMater told me about this site so I thought I would come and check it out.
Here are a few shots of my shop as well as the first 2 pen's I made.
shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

shop4.jpg

here are the pics of the pen's. the 1st one I did was the gold one then the satin one. It was lots of fun and can't wait make more. I finished them with 3 coats each of ca/blo then shellawax. Is this an ok finish?
I am giving the satin one to my mother for Christmas as the lathe was a Christmas gift from here :grin:
Let me know how I did and be honest I can take it.
I already knwo I need to work on my photo skills...lol
pens.jpg

Thanks for looking
Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I can't see the grain real well but I like what I do see. Good job! Did you make the box as well? Looking at the lighting in your shop reminds me that one of the instrument techs at work told be yesterday that they will soon be phasing out the larger flourescent bulbs in favor of T-12s. Just what I need another unanticipated shop expense. And, oh yeah, incandescent bulbs will be gone from the United States by 2014! But that really should have been a different topic!

Welcome to the IAP and I hope to see more of your stuff real soon!!!

txbatons

Welcome, Jason. Nice shop. I'm jealous of anyone who has a real shop. I call my little corner of the garage a shop but that's a stretch. Looking forward to seeing your work as you progress. Lots of info to be found here that's for sure.

spitfire

Yeah the finish came out a little "cloudy" adn ideas?
No I didn't make the box.
Thanks for the replies, I am also going to post a couple pictures of my flatwork as well.

jtate

Very nice pens!

Slimlines are more accomodating of individual variations than most other kits. You may want to try some curves or beads and coves as well as the straight bushing to bushing look. It's lovely and well-done, I just like a little more variety. Just my opinion, though.

Grizzlyss

Don't mean to hijack this thread but, about fluorescent lights, they will be phasing out the T12s as they are the old styles, the newer T8s use less power but give off more light. T12s are 1.5 inches in diameter (think of 12/8's inch) and the T8s are 1 inch (8/8's inch). They even have T5's which give off even more light, the smaller the diameter seems to be more efficient, as well as give off more light. But unfortunately most older fixtures can not handle T8s, take a look at the ballast to find out if it is rated for T8s, some newer one can handle both T12s and T8s. If your fixture can not handle T8s you only have to replace the ballast, but in some cases it is the same cost as replacing the whole fixture. I have only seen a couple of T5's but mostly for industrial lighting.

Sheldon

spitfire

Since these were my 1st pen's I tried to keep them simple. After a couple more I will play with dif variations.

About the lights. Some are hardwired some are just "plug in's"

the 8 footers are hardwire. So I can checkthe ballast and it will tell me what "t's" it can handle?
I was just getting ready to purchase another 8 footer, thanks for the advice

airrat

Looking good jason.

As to the rest of you I am in the dark about what your talking about. But I think I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom