Not open for further replies.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
A collaboration with my niece Ali.. Could be the 1st of many. CA/BLO finish

2007130234453_polyclay.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

Looks good, neat pattern. How'd the finish work out for you? Did you turn it on the lathe or just smooth it close to the shape? I've been messing a lot with the clay now. I'm having a heck of a time getting good patterns though. How'd you setup the clay for the pattern that you got? I've made two complete pens now and I gave them both away yesterday as test pens to see how they hold up.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by les-smith
<br />Looks good, neat pattern. How'd the finish work out for you? Did you turn it on the lathe or just smooth it close to the shape? I've been messing a lot with the clay now. I'm having a heck of a time getting good patterns though. How'd you setup the clay for the pattern that you got? I've made two complete pens now and I gave them both away yesterday as test pens to see how they hold up.
The CA/BLO finish worked great. A lot easier than I thought. The clay was cured when I got it and not very round. I tried to sand it before finishing but that wasn't working, so the top of the clay if just whatever I could get with a sharp skew. Once I put the CA on and sanded that with micromesh, it was very smooth, so it looks like this is the way to go. Still need to experiment with casting PR over the clay.

Wish I could tell you more about the clay. I sent some tubes to my niece in Rhode Island and this is what I got back. I think she did some rolls, sliced the rolls, and pressed on the circles but not really sure. I may just have to try some myself.

les-smith

I've been using the skew as well. I've been using Abranet to sand and then I put sanding sealer on and than I use CA. Are you going to cast the blanks yourself?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by les-smith
<br />I've been using the skew as well. I've been using Abranet to sand and then I put sanding sealer on and than I use CA. Are you going to cast the blanks yourself?
Yes I'll be casting them. If you want me to try some for you as well, send me a pm. Be glad to include them in the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom