1st pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bigworm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigworm

Ok here are my 1st 4 pens. I had never turned anything before this. Just learned from what I have read online. I know the photos arn't good I am working on that. Let me know what you think. I would like to know the truth. I am sure I need work but need to know where. I will try to get better photos and some close up pictures.

1st pen - back right not sure of the wood maybe you guys can tell me.
Just used a wax finish so it has lost its shine.
2nd pen - back left not sure about the wood. Finish is CA with BLO then wax with a polish.
3rd pen - front left this is maple with a oil finish to try to pull the grain and then CA and wax over that.
4ht pen - front right this is a Oak Blur that I cut from a log I had into blanks. Finished with Oil to bring out the grain then CA then with wax polish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bnoles

Jeremy,

For first pens, those are great. I am amazed at the rate of speed you are coming along. Keep this up and you will giving these pros a run for their money [:D]

bigworm

Thanks for your kind words guys. I really like to see what you can do with a chunk of wood. I will post the 1st ting I turned. It was a bowl that I cut from the same oak blur. I didn't have a chuck so I will try that again when I get one. My girl also like it and wants to buy me more kits to do other things. I have to say without the few forums I couldn't have done this. I read allot of the info and try to learn from them. I think soon I might try my hand at casting. I have a few ideas I would like to try.

BigRob777

First of all, great work. I can't give any advise, as they're not close-up enough, but then, I've only done 3 dozen pens, or so myself. Now if the blanks that are under the pens are the same wood, I'd say the back left is cocobolo and the back right is bocote. That's just a guess, but did the back right one smell like pickles a bit? If it did then it's probably bocote, pronounded in Delaware as bucotee.
Keep it up.
Rob

bigworm

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />First of all, great work. I can't give any advise, as they're not close-up enough, but then, I've only done 3 dozen pens, or so myself. <b>Now if the blanks that are under the pens are the same wood</b>, I'd say the back left is cocobolo and the back right is bocote. That's just a guess, but <b>did the back right one smell like pickles a bit?</b> If it did then it's probably bocote, pronounded in Delaware as bucotee.
Keep it up.
Rob

1.Yes the blanks are the same wood as the pens. I got a bag of what I guess is loose blanks they had for $12. It had around 30 blanks or so in it. Some where lager blanks fron a plank I guess that I need to cut down. It was a good buy for me to try some new wood.

2. Yes it did and I was trying to think of what the smell was. Now that you say it that is what it smelled like.

I tried to take close up pictures but they didn't come out to good. I will try again tonight.

pete00

all right, you wanted us to be honest, so sit down, and dont take this personally.

GREAT JOB .....[:D][:D][:D]

OH and dont forget to keep the very first one you made, and NEVER sell or give it away.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom