1st Pens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Radman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radman

My apologies if you've seen this on another forum...
Made my first pens over the weekend, all slimlines. Oak, Bloodwood, Ash and a poor attempt at a blow-out repair. All finished using BLO/CA. I'd be honored by your comments and suggestions...
Radman[8D] (Tom)

200611723554_firstpens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

If those are your first pens I'd say keep at it because you are a natural.I happen to like tha Ash best with the Oak as a close second.

JimGo

Nicely done. Since you asked for critiques, I'll offer a few. However, as the guys above have all said, these look great for your first few pens, so please keep that in mind.

On the oak, the wood near the tip is a little proud of the metal, and the finial end looks to be a bit under-sized. On the bloodwood, the fit isn't too good at the centerband or at the tip. The fit looks much better by the time you got to the ash pen; looks to be almost spot-on. The shapes of each of the pens are nice, although the bloodwood looks a little out of balance to me. It looks like you were trying to "beef" up the writing end a little to provide more grip, but to my eye, because the top half of the pen is also curvey but doesn't match, it looks more like you were trying to make them match but didn't quite succeed.

It's hard to see the finish on any of these because the picture is fairly grainy and out of focus. Try a picture with a less busy background so the camera will focus on the pens. Also, try shooting the pens all in the same plane paralell to the plane of the camera lens. The skewed angle you have in this shot allows the focus to change; a shot more directly overhead would likely have produced a sharper picture.

Please remember, as with any critique, these are just my two cents worth, and even at that I may be overestimating their value!

airrat

They look good. I agree the ash is my favorite.

Something I do when sanding is I round the ends/edges just a little. That way if I am a little proud it will help line it up. Just dont go too far or you get the opposite affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom