1st pen turned, 1st turning of any kind.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edward Cypher

Edward Cypher

:) I know most people like fatter pens but I remember in the 70's when the gold cross pens came out. Man, I saved forever to buy one. I worked all summer to buy that pen. So in memory of youth I decided to turn my first pen to imitate that first pen I bought.

I took a pen class from Pete Holtus at our Denver Woodcraft and have been buying pen stuff since then. Pete is an amazing turner and a huge driving force for the Front Range Woodturners Guild.

I think this is a woodcraft slimline kit, with friction polish and renisaunce wax.

All comments are welcome.

Ed:wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
i know what you mean about the cross pens,, yours looks great! enjoy the 'sport' of pen turning
allen

Steve Busey

Great job Ed - I'm not a big fan of the curvy/bulgy designs, I like the straight lines on a slimline kit. Well done! Like the good doctor said, hang on to it and look at it a year from now!

Edward Cypher

I have no idea. It was in a box full of pen blanks.and all of us that took the class just grabbed a piece. I am sure it is probably a very common wood there really was nothing with a whole lot of grain or character but we were paying for the information not for the pen. It was well worth it and I have since become to know Pete Holtus much better. He is an amazing turner. Mostly boxes.

sweet 1st pen. whats the wood?

Lenny

That's a great first pen Edward! :)

Now listen to what they tell you and find a safe place for that one!

I gave my first one to my wife. If you do the same thing .... try not to get it mixed in with the others you will make (and end up giving it away to the truck driver who gives you some exotic wood scraps :eek: DAMHIKT)

Edward Cypher

Wife made one at the same time. She is an elementary teacher and now some 5th grader is probably chewing on it. She hasn't seen it for over a month. I don't let mine out of the daytimer. Some 5th grader is walking around with a 60 dollar pen (that is what the class cost.) and doesn't even know it.

That's a great first pen Edward! :)

Now listen to what they tell you and find a safe place for that one!

I gave my first one to my wife. If you do the same thing .... try not to get it mixed in with the others you will make (and end up giving it away to the truck driver who gives you some exotic wood scraps :eek: DAMHIKT)

bensoelberg

Wife made one at the same time. She is an elementary teacher and now some 5th grader is probably chewing on it. She hasn't seen it for over a month. I don't let mine out of the daytimer. Some 5th grader is walking around with a 60 dollar pen (that is what the class cost.) and doesn't even know it.

Same thing happened to the first pencil I turned. I took it to school and some student decided that he needed a zebrawood pencil more than I did. :frown:

LeeR

Ed,

I made my first pen in October, and I keep it at my desk in the study. Worried I might lose it at work or elsewhere. I thought I was different, wanting to keep that first one. Apparently I am in good company.

I happened to turn a Streamline from Lee Valley for my first pen. One of my favorite pens, and definitely my favorite 7mm. I think Lee Valley gets their pens from Berea Hardwood (and Berea has wider selection of platings), but there are several Stremlines out there under Streamline and other names. Since you like the slimlines, check these out.

cnccutter

oh Ed... if you only under stood the addiction you just started... kits.. i have to have more kits... oh what a pretty piece of wood.... yes dear I REALLY need that new tool..... and on and on and on...................:biggrin:

great pen

Erik

Atherton Pens

Great job on the 1st pen. Looks very much like my first. My addiction started much like yours with a demonstration at Rockler. Little did I know that the vortex was so deep and that I can never leave once you take that first step into the darkness.....

Yes, I too have my first pen in a special place so that it will be a reminder of what my life was like before addiction. And no, I don't have a problem ..... penturning is NOT so bad that I can't walk away anytime I wish. Yeah right.

Enjoy and don't worry about what it cost or what others think.....

Top Bottom