1st pen sold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rjwolfe3

rjwolfe3

Hey all,
Finally sold my first pen. This is to the customers spec not mine, btw. I think its a little too fat but then again, I hate real slim slimlines, too. The customer was giving it to her husband who has really big hands (her words). I had trouble with the lines, hence the darkening of the woods at each end. The BLO made it darken somehow. The wood is Padauk, I believe and had some small eyes in it that you can't see in the photo but look really cool. The customer seems happy so I'm happy. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

tn_100_1915_25.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Rob,

SOLD is GOOD.

Since you asked for suggestions, I will start with the obvious. Ditch the centerband!! Make one. Simple piece of contrasting wood, added to the top will allow you to make the "waist" more proportional to the pen size.

Your dark spots were PROBABLY (I do resin, remember) a result of your burn lines penetrating the wood and releasing oils that reacted with your finish. There are LOTS of people here who know more about wood than I, so I bow to later corrections!!!

AGAIN, sold is good. But, the next one could LOOK better, if you wish.:):)

Johnathan

Wonderful News! and Congrats! I think it's easy to forget, after a while, the excitement of the first pen sale! I think your statement "it's a little too fat" made me smile...just a bit. ;)

Hello

Congrats on the sale!
I felt guilty about my first sale.....it was an awful pen, but the person who bought it (father-in-law) was anxious to buy it because he thought the hobby is really cool and he wanted one of my first pens just in case I become "a renoun wood artist" or something.
I'm always glad to sell a pen...its REALLY exciting when you sell your first $100 pen...and your first $200 pen (I haven't made one that I'm willing to price at $200 yet)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Rob,
You might want to warn your customer that Padauk has a tendency to change its color, over time, from less orange to a rich brown. Not always but often. I made a few pens from Padauk that were almost a good U of Tennessee orange, but over a year changed to brown. These were BLO and CA finished too.

Grizz

Banned
Customer is always right. What ever they want as long as they pay for it... it is a good feeling.

The ugliest pen I've made was custom order by my wife. She stood beside me and feeling out the pen and telling me where to cut at. It is her 'office' pen. She says her hand doesn't get as fatigued like it use to. She didn't want a clip on it because it just gets in her way. The only thing I like about it, is the blank is pretty.

karensofficepenlo6.jpg

JohnU

Congrats on the sale and to many more! I make a lot of slim lines and like you, do not favor the skinny ones. Great Job!

Top Bottom