1st pc pen, thanks (I think) to Toni

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

Got my canes from Toni today, and went to work. I learned a lot. Original plan was to cast the pc blank in clear pr, then turn to size. I did not roll my base pc thin enough, and after I got all the neat flowers and butterflys on, rolled smooth and baked, it was a bit larger than the bushings. So I sanded the ends to close to bushing size and put on 3 coats thin ca for the finish. The nib end is a bit "over, uh, sanded", but not enough that LOML didn't latch right on and volunteer to be the tester. Here it is, my first and definitely not the last, pc pen, Sierra click, with canes from Toni. Thanks Toni, I think , for getting me in another addiction, lol. All comments appreciated.

Attachments

• pc 002.jpg
    pc 002.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Toni

Excellent Gary!! I need a clapping happy face!! It looks great, I think I am in trouble:) you are going to give me a run for my money for sure!! I will be coming to you for help when I finally get my first bushings.

CaptG

Excellent Gary!! I need a clapping happy face!! It looks great, I think I am in trouble:) you are going to give me a run for my money for sure!! I will be coming to you for help when I finally get my first bushings.

I will always be your student and will not compete against you:)

CaptG

Gary,
Looks like you got in touch with your feminine side, if it sounds like I am jealouse... I am. it looks awesome and I see why your wife claimed it. Toni makes incredible canes, doesn't she?

She sure does, they are what made the pen. I have two more blanks "cooking", with these I used the kit bushings as a guide and have plenty of room for pr. One will go in the pressure pot with pr tomorrow, the other one is setting up right now in crystal clear Alumilite. They should really look good. Thanks again Toni.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That looks very cool. I'm very interested to see how the Alumilite works with it. Will you do a 'Worthless PC' method with the PC to the surface or make the PC small enough to completely cover it with resin?

CaptG

Toni, Alumilite is a clear resin. I put the pc covered tube in a mold and poured the Alumilite aound it. When it sets up I will turn off the excess on the lathe and leave a thin clear shiny finish on it that will protect the pc.

Skippy, I used the pen bushings for a guide and rolled the pc thin enough so there will be a good heavy wall of Alumilite around the pc after turning.

Jeff, Good one buddy. :)

thewishman

Beautiful work with :eek:girlie:eek: canes. The CA finish looks good.

Can't wait to see the results of your casting experiments.

How did the cane slicing go? I've got a few but haven't yet worked up the nerve to cut.

CaptG

Chris, I used a single edge safety razor blade that I buy at harbor freight in boxes of 100. They sliced real well and paper thin with no issues.

Andy, I am not selling these. Toni has some for sale on her etsy site, there is a link on her signature line.

Toni, here is a picture of a pc covered tube that I cast in Alumilite. This is ready to be turned and that is what will be happening when I get off this confuser. I will post a picture of the finished product.

Attachments

• pc.jpg
    pc.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

glen r

Nice work Gary and of course great stuff from Toni. The more I look, the more I'm tempted to try but I've already got too many rods in the fire and my health is telling me to slow down or else. Maybe a little later.

Top Bottom