1st Myrtle and CA finish ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

200821895052_Myrtle%201.jpg

I decided to try a BLO / CA finish after reading up and watching that video linked to one of these forums a day or two ago. I just bought a small block of Myrtle wood and cut off a pen blank to try it out. I dont know if Myrtle is always this light or if I just got an old piece from a dead tree but it did have nice character. Im not satisfied with the final shine and must have put 10 coats of both BLO and CA on this thing. I also used micro mesh in between several coats. I think my mistake was only using medium CA. (out of thin and thick) Of course I opted to learn on the slimline which Im partial to anyway since they are the only pen that fits in my work shirt pen opening.:) Appreciate all comments good or bad and would like to know if anyone can tell me if Myrtle is always light and dry. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Looks good to me, as does the finish. Not sure what you are looking for in that finish. If you are trying for a thicker plastic look then I think you need to ditch the BLO and just run straight CA. When I do CA pens, I just go straight CA thin, about 4-5 coats, one every hour, then a final coat in the morning, wait a couple more hours then sand and buff it out. I find CA straight seems to last forever and CA with BLO wears down. All just my opinion/experience. There's a million opinions on what is best, and how to apply it!

Dan_F

The myrtle I have is similar to maple in hardness and weight, not what I would call a light weight wood. Some nice chocolate swirl in your example.

Dan

Dan_F

John,

It's been my experience that ca/blo finish doesn't produce as bright of shine as straight ca would. I has been much easier for me though, and it should be just as durable.

Dan

Top Bottom