1st Majestic Jr.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JBeck

JBeck

Hi all, yesterday I made my first Majestic Jr with double dyed box elder finished with BLO/CA (William Young method). I have only been turning since around the 1st of the year and I haven't turned anything but pens and I've turned around 25 - 30 pens so far. This pen was my first foray into using a stabilized blank. Feed back is welcome as is any critique of the photos.

John

Attachments

• Majectic JR with Double Dyed Box Elder-01.jpg
    Majectic JR with Double Dyed Box Elder-01.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Majestic JR with Double Dyed Box Elder-02.jpg
    Majestic JR with Double Dyed Box Elder-02.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 263
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Great looking pen John . Your fit and finish are spot on . The photo is good also but you should use a darker background so the pen stands out a little better .

JBeck

Thanks for all the comments. It was a fun pen to do. BTW, what price point would most of you put on a pen like this?

John

Rangertrek

Price point

I have sold a couple Majestic Jrs in the $90 range.
One was owner supplied wood, the other was in pink ivory for a client.
Yours looks better than the two I sold, so, I would ask about $100.

JohnU

Great Job on shape and finish. A great choice in kits for that blank. Ive always loved those blanks but never tried one myself. Going to have to get on the ball and order some.

chriselle

I'm not sure if you are pulling my leg or not. $400 seems like an awful lot.

John

John,

I'm not pulling your leg. Sell it for what you are comfortable with but just remember your pen is truly a one of a kind and there are folks out there that appeciate the value of finely crafted, unique things. Presented in this light $400 is a fair price if not a bargain.

JBeck

John,

I'm not pulling your leg. Sell it for what you are comfortable with but just remember your pen is truly a one of a kind and there are folks out there that appeciate the value of finely crafted, unique things. Presented in this light $400 is a fair price if not a bargain.

Wow, I was originally thinking $80, I know people will pay for quality handcrafted items. The problem I see is finding the businessman/collector willing to spend that kind of money. With this bad economy, are the high end pens still selling?

John

flyingmelon

Looks great. You now have a top of the line pen for your inventory. If you ask for $400 as stated then can raise the prices of your lower price-point pens. It is all about perceived value to your customer. If it doesn't sell at that price then you can lower it or let someone talk you down. But if you are creating one of a kind items that are that nice then it will sell. Also have confidence in yourself and your abilities to produce something of that value. ( I am working on this for myself right now) Something else to think of sales wise is to buy/make some presentation boxes. A pen that nice deserves a nice box as well.

JBeck

Russ, good points, thanks. I'm going to have to give this more thought. I've sold a few pens to coworkers and coworkers of my wife but that's it so far. I've just about got enough pens to put my web site together and start selling over the internet.

John

Moosewatcher

Good looking pen John. I too am a fan of the double dyed boxed elder.

I sell Majesitics for $99. I sold two for $129 each but they went to China and it cost me 27 bucks for shipping. Although the kits cost alot, they are one of the fastest pens to make. PSI has the kits on sale often so you can save some money on the kits it you watch their site.

Ken

Top Bottom