1st kitless roller ball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie69

Charlie69

This one took awhile for me to make; an hour here an hour there after work, little by little, mistake after mistake, it finally came together.

Made out of acrylic blanks that I didn't care what happened to...the colors don't look so great but now that I've finally made a kitless pen I'm excited to make some more.

-Nose cone is made from 6061 aluminum and is threaded with 8x.75
-Section is acrylic with 8x.75 threads.
-cap to body threads are 11x.75
-clip and body finials are 8x.75

A few things I'll do differently next time I make a kitless RB.
I learned a lot about threading and I'll definitely make the next sections out of alumilite or ebonite next time I make a kitless pen. I broke a couple of sections, not while threading them but by unscrewing them from a threaded mandrel. The force of turning them down on the mandrel screwed them on too tight:eek:.

Body is too short, section and cap too long. Proportions could be better.
I thought the nose cone would be a pita too make but to my surprise it wasn't too bad. 4 different size drill bits and hss parting tools were used to make it. Only the Pilot G2 and and Pilot V5 rt refills fit the nose cone:bulgy-eyes:

I've never made a recessed clip and that turned out OK also, really not much to it. Used a dremel to make the slot.

The details: Pen is 139mm capped
126mm uncapped
12.25mm body o.d.
13.5mm cap o.d.

All threads are single starts. I'd like to get 11mm triple starts for the cap to body when I can justify the expense. Next pen I make I'll make a tenon at the beginning of the cap to match the tenon at the back of the body threads in order to lessen the amt of turns it takes to screw on the cap. Wish I had thought of that earlier.

All work was done on my Jet 1014 non VS lathe.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie69

Thanks everyone,

Looks great, did you make the nose cone?

Hi Bill, I made the cone out of 6061 aluminum on my jet 1014. The Pilot G2 & v5 rt refills that I wanted to use with the pen needed 4 different drill bit sizes. I was pleased to find that the Nose cone wasn't very difficult to make; measure the width(s) and corresponding lengths of the section of the refill that I needed in the aluminum..... then drill as needed.

That's how I did it...there is an definitely another way because the nose cones that come with most kit pens will accommodate the schmidt and Pilot G2 refills and the one I made will only fit the Pilot refills.

Top Bottom