1st Kitless ~ Aluminum & Polymer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from creativewriting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Creative Writing...Thank you so much for the information on learning metal lathe/machining. U-Tube here I come. Coincidentally, I just got the book Table Top Machining by Joe Martin for Sherline Users which is the one I think you are talking about. Again, Beautiful pen and craftsmanship !!!!!

fishlux

didn't make fun of me when I asked a stupid question

What kind of friends are those. Sounds more like acquaintances to me. If my friends didn't make fun of me, I'd be offended.

Beautiful Pen though.

A friend had a 7 x 12 grizzly I couldn't pass up. He had an oversized (6") 3 jaw, independant 4 jaw, 3" 3 jaw, (2) jacobs chucks, die holders, a ton of carbide bits, brand new collet set, and a bunch of other stuff I haven't even opened yet.

After using it for a month or so it would be nice to have a larger overall bed length to get the tail stock out of the way. It gets to be a hassle, but I can live with it for a while. I am having a blast with it.

cnirenberg

Keith,
Wow! Great looking pen. I love the polymer and aluminum combo. It is very sharp looking, never would have figured it was your first kitless-fantastic job.

glycerine

A friend had a 7 x 12 grizzly I couldn't pass up. He had an oversized (6") 3 jaw, independant 4 jaw, 3" 3 jaw, (2) jacobs chucks, die holders, a ton of carbide bits, brand new collet set, and a bunch of other stuff I haven't even opened yet.

After using it for a month or so it would be nice to have a larger overall bed length to get the tail stock out of the way. It gets to be a hassle, but I can live with it for a while. I am having a blast with it.

Well, if you every decide to buy something bigger and better, let me know!

Will do! I have read that the HF 7x10 isn't a bad starter for the money. With a 20% coupon you can pick it up for under $400. It will have a lot of the same limitations my Grizzly has, but it will get you going and you can never have too many lathes. I have 3 set up right now!

glycerine

I've been looking into metal lathes for a while. But there are other things I need first. Right now, my money is focused on a dust collection system of some kind...
I've heard that the Harbor Freight models are good and fairly cheap. I would LIKE to find something used hoping for an even better deal. Sounds like that's what happened to you!

Yeah! I looked for quit some time and was actually leaving work to go to HF to by a lathe. I had the 20% off coupon in my pocket and I was ready. One of the guys I had been talking to that works in the engineering department caught me and asked If I wanted the Griz up in the shop. He told me eveything he had for it and I couldn't pass it up.

Good luck in you search. It is a blast when you get one!!!!

Thanks Jim! This has become my everyday pen and I do like the feel. No one believes it is polymer when I tell them. It looks and feels like leather. Usually I just give up a let them think it is leather...what's it going to hurt!

Top Bottom