1st Jr Gent II pen - Cherry Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe Burns

Joe Burns

I just noticed I haven't posted any photos yet to the forum. This is the first Jr. Gent II I have tried to turn. I really like this kit.

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Joe

1_1st-Jr-Gent-II-02-small.jpg

1_1st-Jr-Gent-II-01-small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Wowie...You hit a homerun on this one. Nice Job. I have 1 Piece of Cherry Burl and have been wondering, did you need to stabilize it prior or did you turn it as is?

Rmartin

There are pen styles I like turned bushing to bushing, but I prefer a curve in the JrGent. I think it looks under turned without a slight curve. I will leave the blank 1/16 to an 1/8 proud of the bushing and then sand shape the rest of the way. That being said, Your finish looks fantastic. It's a beautiful pen.

Jim Burr

Banned
Richards suggestions' +1...I think almost any barrel looks better with a curve to it. Finish and your choice of wood is cool!

Joe Burns

Thanks everyone. I really like the Jr Gent IIs. Have several to make for Christmas gives this year. This was the first one Ive made.

Chris The handful of Cherry Burl blanks Ive turned I haven't had to use thin CA to stabilize them. The center of the long barrel on this one felt different from the other areas when turning. As with any burl keep the CA handy and don't get too aggressive with it.

Richard, Jim, I think your right. It doesn't feel so much like it when I rub the edges but Ive wondered the same thing. The wood is actually turned flush with the bushings. I have 10 coats of medium CA as the finish and I think that's what were seeing. The ca coating on the bushings makes it harder to see if your still too high at your edges. My delrin bushings that came in yesterday should help in solving that. I also prefer a slight curve to the barrels myself. Don't know why this one came out straighter. I didn't intentionally go that direction.

The wife has confiscated this one and said it will be a Christmas present.

Joe

Top Bottom