1st Gentlemen's Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mfallone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfallone

This is my first post and also my first Gentlemen's Pen.

I started turning about 6 months ago to make 50 slimline Cocoblo pens for my wedding favours and got hooked! Love this site and have drawn a great deal of inspiration from all you wonderful photographs.

Have been doing lots of different pens, but was asked for a top-class fountain pen by a colleague who appreciates pens. I suggested the Gent's Pen and after a botched attempt with Wenge I chose a great piece of Cocobolo and this was the result.

tn_gp2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

hi michael welcome, its great to have another brit on the site. a very nice pen you got there, im sure he will be pleased with that.what is the finish. regards colin.

Fred

Michael, Very nice fountain pen. I think Cocobolo goes with silver, gold, or often a nice black finishes. Your pen is very nice indeed. Congratulations on a job well done!

If you seek adventures, try using the CA as a finish on the Cocobolo. I will tell you right up front that the resins in Cocobolo react quickly with the CA and generate enough heat to actually burn your 'widdle bitty fingers' a good bit. Blisters are often the results. Cocobolo is but one of the many 'reactive' woods we all work with.

If you do try the CA get some that sets in 30 seconds and use a piece of paper plate as the applicator. The paper plate seems to me to be a bit stiffer and allows me a tad bit of smoothing out vs. a paper towel. Of course just be careful to not let the plate stick to the wood ... unless you want to start sanding all over again.

I am having wonderful results in using Medium CA (about 3-4 coats) letting them set for 15+ minutes or so between coats before a bit of light sanding (I do ALL my finish sanding at 400 or less RPMS) on each coat that is applied, polish a bit with 0000 clean (NO OILS) steel wool, then using MM all the way out to 12000 with reverse turning of the piece with each change in grit. Clean between each operation with a soft cloth. I finish with Mylands Friction Polish (shaken very well) and apply three coats of it with 30+ minutes between coats. I usually get a glass like surface that is very, very hard in just a short time. On my bowls I polish a little bit with Carnauba wax to assist for years in working with the finger prints from handling.

Have a great time turning ... Cheers! [:D] [:D] [:D]

alxe24

I like the fine job on the pen. I have to give you kudos for the picture. I like the angle and the composition. It looks great.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hiya Mike, what an entrance!!!!!! Loads of us that have been here a while still haven't caught up to you. Great pen, great pic, and no pic posting problems either!!!![:D]

Like has already been said, pity you weren't around for the meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom