1st Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lyonsacc

lyonsacc

This is my first fountain pen. I was hesitant to make one just because I have never used one before. Now that it is made I wonder why I waited so long. They are pretty fun to write with.

The blank is a redwood burl w/ acrylic I received recently during a PITH swap from Eric (Buzzz4). The pen is a Jr. Gent I from Smitty (a prize from last year's BASH - thanks Smitty!)

Dave

Attachments

• 1-28-14 016.jpg
    1-28-14 016.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 1-28-14 018.jpg
    1-28-14 018.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 1-28-14 019.jpg
    1-28-14 019.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotirish

Nice looking pen Dave. Let me tell you how this works: 1) Make a fountain pen, 2) Discover "Private Reserve" color ink. Now you are on the wave, need a pen for every color ink. :tongue::tongue:
That is why I have 42 fountain pens in my room. :wink::wink: Use all of them. :eek::eek:
Ron

bjbear76

Nice job, Dave. I got hooked the same way. I made a couple of fountain pens; felt like I needed to experience the feel of using it before selling them and got hooked. Now I use a fountain pen almost exclusively. I've found myself looking for different blanks to make myself a variety of pens instead of planning on selling them.
Keep up the good work.

BTW, do you attend the OVWG meetings?

lyonsacc

The short answer is no. I talked to a few guys at Woodcraft about it - probably a year or more ago. Never got around to going to a meeting and then had forgotten about it. Would be interested to some time.

Do you go?

Dan Masshardt

Nice pen.

If you've ever made a rollerball from Berea or some of the csusa (oh boy) kits, you probably also made a pen that can be a fountain pen with no further effort than unscrewing the front section.

There is admittedly something cool about fountain pens.

bjbear76

The short answer is no. I talked to a few guys at Woodcraft about it - probably a year or more ago. Never got around to going to a meeting and then had forgotten about it. Would be interested to some time.

Do you go?

Dave, no, I haven't been going either. I attended a hands-on class a couple years ago and
I was the only pentuner at that particular meeting. Probably not fair to judge on just one time, but it seemed that everyone was into turning bowls, hollow forms, things like that. Saturdays are usually my "catch up" day around the house and I never made the effort to go back.

lyonsacc

Do you go?

Dave, no, I haven't been going either. I attended a hands-on class a couple years ago and
I was the only pentuner at that particular meeting. Probably not fair to judge on just one time, but it seemed that everyone was into turning bowls, hollow forms, things like that. Saturdays are usually my "catch up" day around the house and I never made the effort to go back.

That was my impression as well (although I would love to try some bowls). And Saturdays are almost always busy for me (3 preteen kids and a 50 year old house). I have been thinking about asking Woodcraft or Rockler if they would be interested in hosting a SW Ohio IAP meeting sometime. I know there are a few folks around here.

dtswebb

Good looking fountain pen. The kit compliments the blank and the fit and finish look spot on.

Like some of the other folks that commented here, I did not turn a fountain pen for a while. Now, I do use one when I can (really are not the preferred choice in the field).

Top Bottom