1st closed end

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from minus459

minus459

This is another lovely piece from the mystery box and I decided to do my first closed end . It's a Jr Gent trying for that natural timber look and feel, so no CA, just some sanding and MM and EEE and some shellawax. I'm showing my homemade (woodlathe only) closed end mandrel. 1/4x6" coach bolt belrin and o-ring. Worked bloody well if I do say so myself.
rolleye.gif
sneaktongue.gif

undies

EDIT: I must say that I will be using a 4-5" bolt in future, it will make the production of the mandrel easier I think.

undies

Attachments

• mandrel.jpg
    mandrel.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 207
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

minus459

Peter, both pen and mandrel look very good.

Would you mind showing us, how you mount the pen blank on your mandrel?

G'day Pete,
A smear of dishwashing liquid on the O-ring push it into the brass tube you've glued into the blank slide the Delrin bush in and tighten the nut, pulls the bolt head onto the bushing and expands the O-ring, the champher on the other end of the bush supports that end. Don't drill the hole any more than a couple of mm deeper than the length of the tube. It should bottom out in the hole with enough wood left proud of tube for squaring up. If you don't bottom out, you might lose your mandrel if the bolt head and O-ring go past the end of the tube:rolleyes: Or turn your closed end into a standard end..lol
Yes I did.

Attachments

• mandrel.jpg
    mandrel.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

ToddMR

Very nice closed end. The wood looks great! You picked a really nice blank for this. I need to get a closed end pen turned sooner than later. You did a great job.

wood-of-1kind

Peter, both pen and mandrel look very good.

Would you mind showing us, how you mount the pen blank on your mandrel?

G'day Pete,
A smear of dishwashing liquid on the O-ring push it into the brass tube you've glued into the blank slide the Delrin bush in and tighten the nut, pulls the bolt head onto the bushing and expands the O-ring, the champher on the other end of the bush supports that end. Don't drill the hole any more than a couple of mm deeper than the length of the tube. It should bottom out in the hole with enough wood left proud of tube for squaring up. If you don't bottom out, you might lose your mandrel if the bolt head and O-ring go past the end of the tube:rolleyes: Or turn your closed end into a standard end..lol
Yes I did.

Thanks a bunch Peter for showing how it's "mounted". It's all clear now and I am anxious to try this variation. Appreciate your time to explain your process.

Cheers.:)

minus459

Your welcome mate, need any help, just ask. I've only been making pens for 12 mths and I'm addicted. I spend more time thinking and drinking, but sometimes it results in what I was hoping for.
woops I just looked at your website, you are well beyond me I think, really nice work Pete.

undies

Last edited:
Top Bottom