1st Celtic Knots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Grizz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizz

Banned
This has been a good holiday season. I've just been experimenting away with pens and getting bowls roughed out. Here is my first attempt at Celtic Knots. I feel like I had good blanks, but for some reason my drilling attempt was off. So the knots are not even. I can't rely on any real precision from my Table Saw so I just used my miter saw with a stop block.

The front end of the pen the angles are cut at 10, 20 and then 30 degrees. These are Premier Cigar pens with Maple, Yellow Heart and Purple Heart. (Wife picked out the colors.)

20081233153_Celtic%20Knots.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Grizz,they look good other than the slightly off center top, and it only shows on the purple heart knot, I wonder what the lower bands would look like if sawn from different sides like the knots, or were they, I do think thay could find buyers and new homes [8D][8D][8D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Grizz
<br /> I feel like I had good blanks, but for some reason my drilling attempt was off. So the knots are not even.

For this kind of precision, you need experience, a VERY good blank vise and even then some luck.

Another way to greatly increase precision is to drill from the lathe, which is what I always do when I need precision turning from end to end. Several others here do the same. If you have a good chuck and a tail stock drill chuck, it is much easier.

Grizz

Banned
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />
Originally posted by Grizz
<br /> I feel like I had good blanks, but for some reason my drilling attempt was off. So the knots are not even.

For this kind of precision, you need experience, a VERY good blank vise and even then some luck.

Another way to greatly increase precision is to drill from the lathe, which is what I always do when I need precision turning from end to end. Several others here do the same. If you have a good chuck and a tail stock drill chuck, it is much easier.

Thank you for that idea! I don't have a drill chuck. I do have a Nova that I can hold the stock with. (ok, new purchase item... Drill chuck for lathe. gotcha [^] )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom