1st Cartridge Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobindayton

bobindayton

Here is my 1st 30.06 cartridge pen. It has an antler top with BLO/CA finish.
I tried one with the slimline nib and it just doesn't look right, IMHO! Needs the real deal!

Attachments

• 100_0383.jpg
    100_0383.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I too would like to congradulate you on the first of many. These are good sellers. I too think these are so much more realistic than the kits and even these new ones. (Now I have just seen these from photos and have not been able to order any yet. ) Great job and thanks for showing.

stoneman

Nice looking pen Bob. I also like the bullet nib versus kit. However, I must say that many folks, with no basis for comparison, are still very impressed with the cartridge pen and the kit nib. Keep up the good work.

keandkafu

Your pen looks great! I have made several and I have one nagging issue that I wondered if you experienced it. When I'm making the pen with a 30-06 shell, the upper half of the pen does not fit snug enough to grab the transmission to open and close the pen. Its OK when I use a 308, but the trans sticks out further. Any suggestions?

Kevin

Sylvanite

I have one nagging issue that I wondered if you experienced it. When I'm making the pen with a 30-06 shell, the upper half of the pen does not fit snug enough to grab the transmission to open and close the pen. Its OK when I use a 308, but the trans sticks out further. Any suggestions?
I occasionally experience the same problem, although it is not strictly caliber-specific. Some tubes simply fit the transmission snugger than others. When I run into a loose one, I put a drop of thin CA glue in the upper tube and roll it around so that it coats the inside all the way around. After the glue cures, I try the fit again. A layer of thin CA reduces the inside diameter of the upper tube a tiny bit and helps tighten the fit. Sometimes it takes a second application, but I have had good success with this method (better than trying to dimple or deform the transmission).

Regards,
Eric

bobindayton

Kevin- I did not run into the transmission problem. Something to look forward to I guess. There is a lot of the transmission exposed so I would think that Eric is right and it is a tube or trany diameter problem and not a length problem. I like the fix Eric gives and will try that when the time comes.
Thanks to all for the comments. I am making a better jig to drill the bullets and then I'll be making more.
Bob

RichB

I had the same problem with a loose upper half. I tryed to dimple the trans. and well it ended in the file 13. Trying to pull it out is another problem. After I was done it did not look like a transmission anymore. Eric's idea is the safest.

stoneman

I've had a number of loose grips on the tranny. When it happens, it almost always works for me to swab the inside of the upper barrel tube and the metal outside of the tranny with lacquer thinner on a q-tip. It seems to clean off any stray oil, wax or solder paste that may have contaminated the gripping surface. Caution - "wring" out the q-tip well first so the squared off end of the upper barrel does not absorb any laquer thinner.

Top Bottom