1st batch of lacquered pens/detail shots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

These are several of the batch posted as a group last night, here are the "close-ups"...still working on my photo skills (obviously;)) but getting better every time out! Comments appreciated, photo tips as well!

All were lacquer dipped per Billy's tutorial posted a month or so ago...simple to follow and the results are well worth the patience required! these pens went straight from the lacquer booth to the buffer. I did not wet sand as it looked like I had a darn near mirror finish...why mess with it!

Golden Amboyna Jr. Gent
200861134234_0610ambopen.jpg

Desert Ironwood Jt Statesman (answers the question "why would I pay $25 for a single blank from Nolan?"

200861134332_0610di1.jpg

Honduran Rosewood Statesman
20086113451_0610rose2.jpg

Sierra to DI for
200861134710_0610disierra2.jpg

Honduran Rosewood
200861134625_0610rosesierra.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Your pens and finish are outstanding. Im currently brushing lacquer but your pics inspire me to try the dipping method. The DI is my favorite and the perfect answer to the posted question! Thanks for sharing!

VisExp

That's a nice group of pens Jon. I think you may be being a little hard on your photo skills, they're coming along nicely. I think they may be under exposed a little bit.

The Sierra's have a bit too much of a bulge for my tastes. I struggle with that when making them. There seems to be a very fine line between B2B and too much of a bulge. I normally end up with them too straight.

When you buff the dipped laquer do you use all three wheels or just the carnuba?

TBone

The finish on the amboyna statesman is great. The others are probably equally impressive but the picture really shows it on that one. I may need to download and try Billy's technique.

GoodTurns

Thanks for the comments folks, the Amboyna is the best photo. The DI pens are better when you can really see them...trying to get enough light on them without causing an East Coast blackout!;)

Originally posted by VisExp

The Sierra's have a bit too much of a bulge for my tastes. I struggle with that when making them. There seems to be a very fine line between B2B and too much of a bulge. I normally end up with them too straight.

I always fight the urge to just flatten the Sierras out. I hate the B2B look, but usually make them too curvy the first time around...take them back to the lathe and trim them a little "flatter" until I'm happy with them.

Originally posted by VisExp

When you buff the dipped laquer do you use all three wheels or just the carnuba?

All 3 steps

BigRob777

Jon,
Where can I find the tutorial? I've never figured out how to access them. Your pens are phenomenal. You should come up to Bubbasville East and give a demo on the finish. Are we ever having another meeting? I can't seem to get through to Joe.
Thanks,
Rob

Top Bottom