1st attempt at CA/BLO and cutting rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tetrault

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetrault

Spalted Pecan with my 1st attempt at CA/BLO finish. and rings by the nib.

tn_pens%20005.jpg

tn_pens%20006.jpg

Comments please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

The shape looks pretty neat. Like William, I'd be curious how well it writes. The finish is tough to see; the pics look a little blurry.

tipusnr

Generally looks good but I'm wondering if that is transferrance from the centerband onto both blanks or maybe a "oops" band at the top of the lower band. That can easily happen when sanding and finishing different woods side by side. Even when turning bands with the pen blanks I find it better to seperate them for the sanding and finishing portion of the job.

tetrault

The pen actually balances and writes well. I cannot understand why the picture is fuzzy. No sanding swirls or white spots. The finish is smooth and feels like plastic damned near.

The center band broke originally and the nice red carob band became a two piece band cherry/carob. I did sand them together and that prolly caused some sanding material transfer. Thanks for that pointer.

Mark

Scott

Hi Mark,

Overall, I really like it! It has appeal. Someone once called this a "scallion" shape, and that has just stuck with me. The addition of the rings is a nice touch.

So, how did YOU like the CA/BLO finish? Was it easier? Did it gon on more smoothly? Are you satisfied with the quality of the finish? I use it all the time, but I've done it so much I don't even really think about it anymore. So I am interested in what you think!

Scott.

Rifleman1776

The overall effect strikes me as too busy. Perhaps without the center band it would blend better. The beauty of the wood is lost in the confusion of cb and rings. And the nib end looks uncomfortable for holding and writing with. Sorry guy, for me, it falls flat.

GBusardo

I like the pen, don't think its too busy at all, but i am not an expert on design. I have also had problems with having bottom and band line up exactly when making a wood band. I do sand all the pieces together, and from what I gather, that is my problem. Here is a picture of a pen I turned recently, that the lower barrel is slightly off from the top. On the bright side, my finishing is getting slightly better. My question is why would both barrels not line up if they are sanded together?
Thanks

200628195314_zebrawood%20walnut%20band.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom