1st attempt at Antler pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Terwin

Terwin

Ok everyone, I have tried my first antler pen. I have to agree with what everyone has posted about the smell. Its like a dirty wet dog smell. This is also the 1st pen I have posted on IAP. Be critical, I have very thick skin and want to better my product. I was also wondering what kind of finish you put on antler. This one is MM to 12,000 and Hut PPP. Let me know what you think!!!

BTW... I am not a photographer so the picture may not be the best quality.

Attachments

• 1st antler 6635.jpg
    1st antler 6635.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 257
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I use a CA finish on all of my antler! Roughly 10-12 coats, wet MM to 12000 and the plastic polish final buffing. I typically start with 2 coats of thin CA first just to fill in any voids that may show up from turning the antler down. Then I build the rest of the way with Medium CA. Not bad for your first! I have seen worse, and your photography skills will get better as you go!

Terwin

Thanks Seamus. This is only the 10th pen I have made. I have not really tried the CA finish yet. I think i will trun down some scraps and give it a try before I use it on a pen. What do you use to apply the CA?

IPD_Mrs

It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the antler is undercut on the nib side. Meaning that you did not turn it down far enough to go flush with the fittings. Like Seamus said it is pretty good for a first attempt. I would definitely take the time to learn a CA finish if you are going to do antler. Otherwise you will find that it will get dirty and dull in no time with daily use. The antler will soak up the CA and make it a lot more stable and less prone to chips and cracking if handled roughly. All in all I would say you did pretty darn good for only your 10th pen. Keep at it, pretty darn gutsy for a 10th pen to attempt antler. Show great potential on your part.

jaeger

Nice job on the antler. I like the size that you chose. I like to leave some of the outside "bark" on the antler. It takes just the right size antler or you will have a pen that is to fat.
Now you should try one using a slimline with antler on top and antler on bottom. Try one the same with antler on top and wood on bottom. You can make a custom center band which gives you some leniency to the size at the center. You don't have to use the center bushing.
The antler cartridge are popular also.

wiset1

This looks like a quality turn, but as noted the picture makes it difficult to give feedback in any great detail. With that being said, pen looks great, work on the picture ;-)

toolcrazy

Very nice pen.

Couple tips. Let the antler sit for a year or so, then it won't stink half as bad, it's the blood in the marrow that stinks. I only us CA if I feel it necessary. Sometimes you get a solid piece and you don't need to.

Akula

I sometimes use hydrogen peroxide on deer antler if I want a "White". It will not effect the bark if you wanted to leave some on. I found the store 3% works well and less of a problem/hazard. I just soak it 24-48 hours (sometimes I forget and it goes 48 hours LOL).

Turn the pen and finish with CA. MM to 12k. Buffer and white diamond. Done

Terwin

Thanks everyone for the comments. I need to get some slimline kits to try. The WSII was what I had onhand. I will get some and try some differant combinations.

I will work on the photography. I have a Nikon D5000 that I got a year ago and I am still figuring it out. I plan on getting a 50mm prime and a macro lense in the future along with a photo tent to diffuse the light.

The antler I used was from my dad. He is a woodturner and has had them about 5 years. I am glad I started with them if the smell is worse with newer ones. I like the feel of the natural antler but I realize it is a pourious material and will not stay this way without a nice hard finish.

Thanks again for the comments. Going to try some more today!!!

DurocShark

I've got a pile of antler in my garage/shop waiting for the weather to warm up. There's NO WAY I'm turning that stuff with the garage closed up. :eek:

Top Bottom