1st Attempt at Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Allen_B

Allen_B

This is probably my 8th pen I've ever made. I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks and I like the acrylic a lot. Wood just has a beauty about it though. Anyways here it is. Micro Meshed to 12000 and one step polish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 337
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

Looks good from here! Acrylics can be a real pain to work with, but you nailed this one. Perfect finish. You can't go wrong with One Step, it's good stuff.

If you haven't promised the pen to anyone, you should keep it to help gauge your progress. Doesn't look like much room for improvement, though.

Allen_B

Looks good from here! Acrylics can be a real pain to work with, but you nailed this one. Perfect finish. You can't go wrong with One Step, it's good stuff.

If you haven't promised the pen to anyone, you should keep it to help gauge your progress. Doesn't look like much room for improvement, though.

I gave it away to a guy a work with. His favorite color is green, but I didn't even have him in mind when I made it. He told me that I made his weekend and it was well worth it for me to see the smile on his face.

Allen_B

The only thing I didn't like about this pen was the odor. I had the exhaust fans going and the doors open while I was making this one and it still stunk the shop up for 2 days straight. I had a terrible headache all day long too.

Are there any acrylics or plastics out there that don't smell so bad?

OZturner

Hi Allen, Great 1st Acrylic Pen,
Spectacular Blank, and Excellent Finish.
From your photograph, it looks that might have turned down the upper Blank a little too much at the Centre band. If so you should work closer to the bushes, or better still use a venier caliper to obtain the correct diameter to match the hardware component.
Not to worry, that is a common problem, and just something else to get your mind around.
Regarding the smell, sorry I can't give you any relief, It just goes with the Territory.
Wood is Good. (mostly)
Congratulations,
Brian.

SDB777

Watch those Trimline kits near the nib end. The material remaining on the blank will typically get 'really' thin, and then the brass from the tube 'might'(ie...will) show through.

The fit-n-finish look really great....keep them coming!

Scott (think reverse painting) B

Top Bottom