1st aluminum cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from twoofakind

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoofakind

This is my first attempt at an aluminum cigar pen in chrome. This is one hard pen to photograph.

Andy

2007130172538_0490.jpg

2007130172645_0489.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C. Scott

Looks good to me. I have an AL blank that I have drilled out but I have just put off turning it (for 2 years!). You have inspired me to finish it!

twoofakind

I followed the tutorial on the homepage and changed it as I needed. I used 6061 5/8" rod drilled to the diameter of the fittings and did not use tubes. I used a standard gouge and went slowly as to avoid the heat.

Andy

twoofakind

Just find you an old chisel and go after it! It is not as hard as I thought it would be. I have had a couple sets of blanks ready to turn since last August and I have been putting it off. The pen is heavier than I expected it to be, but it has a nice feel to it. I think I will have to keep this one.[;)]

Andy

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice pen Andy, I agree with you that metal turned pens are difficult to photogragh. I have made a couple of aluminium and several brass pens. You can polish them as much as you want, and by eye, they have a great mirror finish. But mine always seem to have marks in the photo. I can't understand it. In real life they look great.

Do you put any finish on the pen to keep the shine?

twoofakind

I didn't on this pen. I figured it would be easy enough to buff again even after assembly. What do you put on yours? I was thinking about this stuff I used on a set of billet wheels I had called Zoop shine, but I wasn't sure if these will sell well enough to offset the cost.

Andy

btboone

Part of the trick is sanding perpendicular to the machining marks. When those are not visible at all with 600 grit wet sanded with WD-40, then you start to polish. Go at opposed 45 degree angles, again to erase any marks by the previous step. It's tough to do, but it takes a while to know what to look for and perfect the technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom