1st & 2nd Amendments in one pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

This was a commissioned piece from a friend of mine. Her son is an editor for the University of Alabama newspaper (Crimson White). He is also a gun enthusist. She wanted to combine both of his passions in one pen.

The top is shredded pieces of the Crimson White. I found the University logo and the CW logo in the pile. Decided to layer them closer to the surface. The opposite side of the pen has the young man's by-line as a monogram.

This was a challenge. Newprint tries to turn transparent under CA glue. Plus, I am an Auburn grad, so this one stung a little. :biggrin:

Comments and Critiques welcome.

Attachments

• Newsprint Cartridge Pen - 1.jpg
    Newsprint Cartridge Pen - 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 298
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I can only imagine the patience that took!

This was the fourth attempt with the newsprint.

Best solution, I found was to turn and sand a piece of maple. Turned the maple a little small, then layered the shredded print on using Titebond II. The Titebond II did not mix with the ink and leave my fingerprints everywhere.

Let that sit over night, then hit high spots with 1500 grit. Wipe off dust then start CA, like I do for wood finishes. After 6-8 coats of CA, sanded lightly then CA the logos and byline in place. Let those sit overnight, then CA finish, just like wooden pens.

Wet sanded to 12000 micromesh, Plastix and buff.

Thank you.

Top Bottom