1934 Packard Harold Jr. TributePen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

I have missed visiting this thread for the past week! I had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum last Tuesday and will be out of commission for the next 5 weeks...Here is a pen I finished up before my surgery.

My wife's great uncle spent years meticulously restoring a 1934 Packard Limousine. Unfortunately, it became very hard for him to get in and out of so he reluctantly had to sell it. On the bright side, he now has a 1955 Packard Patrician Convertible that he very much enjoys!

In honor of his 34 Packard I decided to make him a custom tribute pen. He was one of the driving forces that helped me get off the ground in penmaking by providing me with pretty much everything I needed to get started making pens (mandrels, bushings, barrel trimmers, kits, blanks) except for the lathe. So, I made a custom acrylic block using Monster Kolor's resin dyes. I selected their medium grey, light gray, and Reddy colors and cast the block with Alumilite. Turned, sanded, and applied a 10 coat thin CA finish to it so that it shined like the Packard. I paired the blank with a chrome Harold Jr. pen kit to mimic the chrome accents on the car as well. He was blown away by the gift and I was very happy with how the pen turned out! Here are some pictures or the pen and of "Penny the Packard!" C and C's welcomed!

Attachments

• IMG_4598.jpg
    IMG_4598.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4599.JPG
    IMG_4599.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 198

Herb G

I love that old car. Packards were built like tanks.
My grandad had a 1950 Packard Eight 4 door.
It had fenders 1/8" thick. Big, ugly green monster. :alien:

If you could make a pen with the actual photo of that car, it would be spectacular. I like the pen you made though. Very nicely done my friend.

Top Bottom