1500 Year Old Irish Bog Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Several people have talked about the Irish Bog Oak on Ebay. These pictures (still have to learn this photography stuff) are of my first Baron from BB. The kit is the Sterling Silver fountain pen. You truly have to see this wood in person to appreciate the depth and elegant beauty of the finished wood. (Remember I am Irish!) According to the carbon dating information, this wood sank into the bogs around the time Saint Patrick was a missionary in Ireland. The wood is a little expensive, but worth it.

er%20Baron%20FP%20in%201500%20yr%20old%20Bog%20Oak.jpg

5215312_Sterling%20Silver%20Baron%20in%20Bog%20Oak.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful pen, William. Perfect fit...perfect finish...perfect tribute to your heritage. Now you have to make another--your son and daughter will both want something to pass down from generation to generation! [8D]

wdcav1952

Tom, those are the ones he has on Ebay. Some of the ones I got are for slimlines only. A few were just barely large enough for the Baron. Thank you BB for new Norseman drills that cut very true as it was a tight squeeze.

Thanks Lou for the idea. Hopefully by the time I keel over my son and daughter will appreciate their heritage. Now if I can just find where I put the premium ink pump!

PenWorks

Very beautifull pen William. So is this what they would call Irish ebony ?? Very fitting for the Open this week at St. Andrews. [:)]

JimGo

William, that's a heck of a pen! My blanks arrived today, and I'm already itchin' to turn them and do my grandmother proud!

wdcav1952

Jim,

Be ready for the curious feeling you will get before cutting into this wood. I really wondered if I had the right to destroy so much of an artifact. Once I started, I began to feel that rather than destroying, I was releasing. I know it sounds corny, but as a direct descendant of John Cavanaugh from County Mayo, I have always had a reverence for things Irish. My favorite bookmard is a shamrock laminated into a bookmark that my brother who was fortunate enough to visity Ireland brought back for me.

Travis, yes, I now love the Baron kit and understand why everyone has spoken so highly of it.

JimGo

William, I kind of had that feeling when I first pulled the blanks out of the bag in which they were shipped! Even people in my office, who are usually pretty blase when it comes to my "toy" packages, were intrigued by this set of blanks.

I hope mine come out even 1/2 as good as yours!

green-eyes

That is beautiful! And having seen a finished pen in this wood, you really do have to see it in person. It is just wonderful! Great job William. Now I am going to have to search EBay for some of it!!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have to agree with everyone.. very nice job
I was fortunate to see a pen turned from it when William was at Grizfest.. he also was kind enough to leave me a piece (NO I did not take it at gunpoint) that I intend to do a Baron from... unfortunately since it is only 5/8" I can't get a Jr Statesman II out of it... even the Baron is going to take some real precise drilling..
You did a good job William...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom