15 of 30

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

Status
Not open for further replies.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Just finished doing 15 of the pens for my order last night.

5 Sierras made with AZ Silhouette's Stabilized Box Elder Burl.
2007123224028_IMG_6222.jpg

Then 10 Olympias in various dress:
2007123224116_IMG_6226.jpg

From left to right, back to front: Bloodwood, Bocote, Purpleheart, American Red Cedar, Hawaiian Hala, Angle-cut Rosewood, African Blackwood, Hawaiian Hala, Honduran Rosewood Burl, and lastly Thuya Burl.

Thanks for viewing and or commenting.
GK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

Great collection! Hawaiian Hala looks suspiciously like what I've seen referred to as Red Palm. Is it a palm of some sort?
I've turned Cocos Palm (Queen Palm) and I suspect that is what I've seeen referred to as Red Palm.

R2

Great collection! Hawaiian Hala looks suspiciously like what I've seen referred to as Red Palm. Is it a palm of some sort?
I've turned Cocos Palm (Queen Palm) and I suspect that is what I've seeen referred to as Red Palm.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The hala tree looks kinda palm like but isn't a palm. The leaves are saw-tooth edged and a bear to clean up (I used to have one in my front yard). hala wood is the hardest wood I have turned so far. Not hard as in difficult, hard as in hard. It polished up with no finish on it but I ended up doing a CA anyway just to "kick it up a notch".

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for all the nice comments!

I just got a follow-up email from the guy's boss: they are adding more pens to the order. YIKES!!
But YAY!!

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Kalai,

You got a deal. AFTER Christmas. [;)]
Can you tell me the full name of the Signature wood?

Ahoi, I honestly don't know. I hope so but it isn't looking promising. I'm trying to convince my wife we need to do small "Whiffle ball" ornaments so she can do flat work while I'm finishing the pens.

GK

Kalai

Hi Greg, the signature tree is also called autograph tree, here is some info--Scientific: Clusia rosea
Size: Up to 35 ft. high
Flower Color: Pink and White
Habitat: Sea level to 2,000 ft
The Autograph tree was brought into Hawai'i as an ornamental plant. The tree has an apple sized green fruit. As the fruit dries, it opens at one end and disperses tiny red seeds. The fruit drops to the ground and turns into a hard star shape that is quite attractive.

The Autograph tree gets it's common name (also called the Signature Tree) because of the leaves. Each leaf is fairly large, 5 to 8 inches, oval, thick and sturdy. You can scratch the leaf with a sharp object and it will remove the dark green outer layer and reveal a light green inner layer. People write messages, their name, love notes and other types of graffiti into the leaves. The messages stay as long as the leaf is attached to the tree, often months. The leaves have also been used in the past as playing cards.

The flowers of the tree are sometimes used in floral arrangements and a sticky sap found in the seeds has been used as a weatherproof caulking.

The tree is unfortunately extremely invasive. The seeds are spread by birds and the tree can start just about anywhere. It is not unusual to see a Signature Tree growing out of the middle of another tree. The seeds will sprout and drop long roots. Eventually the tree will kill its host and replace it. It is nearly impossible to eradicate the tree - as there is so much of it on the islands, however future planting should be discouraged.[:)]

Let me know when you have time for a pen/wood trade, aloha

Chris
Kalai[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom