140 stainless steel 6mm Washers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just for fun.... a slimline made with about 140 stainless steel washers.

I drilled the 6mm washers to 6.8mm and turned half of them right down as far as I dared to make the 'spacers' and the rest became the 'shape'

Every now and then, I like to mess about with the good old slimline....:biggrin:

Hope you like it..:wink:

Attachments

• DSCF2776.JPG
    DSCF2776.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 569
  • DSCF2778.JPG
    DSCF2778.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 473
  • DSCF2783.JPG
    DSCF2783.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 721
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Thank you for not entering that in the slimline unlimited. It gives the rest a chance to rise to the top.

That is a great looking pen. Well executed. Thank you for your contributions to the IAP, they always inspire me to think bigger/better/differently about the pens I make.

Now if I can just convince my better half that I need a metal lathe...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The third picture... Beautiful!

Simple concept; challenging design/elements; accurate/repeatable measurements...... = Superb Pen! (Plus a bit of skill). :wink:

Very Cool Skip!

magpens

That's really cool, Skip !!!

You must have heard me talking in my sleep about doing that (in brass) !! :biggrin: I think it is Mannie that signs off with "I really hate it when someone steals my ideas before I think of them"! .

I love the shape you did .... really classy !

SteveG

It is a wonder your brain does not explode, what with all these creative ideas lurking in there. How do you keep it under control so only one or two sneak out at time?

Also, it just so happens that I was going to do this washer-pen thing tomorrow, but I think I will "Skip" it since you just took all the thunder. :rain::rain::rolleyes:

Great job in design and execution. :)

magpens

Skip, how did you hold each washer for machining? Did you make a special-purpose mandrel to hold them ?

Maybe you turned the spacer washers en-masse on a mandrel, then did the basic assembly and finally turned the shape-washers, also en-masse to the overall shape you wanted.

What is the weight of the pen ?

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Many thanks for the kind comments. Always appreciated.

Mal, you got it. All ganged together to make the spacers, with a temporary male/female mandrel.
The washers were then stacked on the slimline tube, like in the first pic, and soaked in CA to stop them spinning while shaping. Once down to shape, I just used the square edge of a snap blade craft knife blade to remove the CA between the washers.

This could have been made on a wood lathe....:)

Oh....it weighs 31 grams. :), so not too heavy.

Cheers.

BradG

you have a knack of taking something ordinary and turning it into something remarkable. Very eye catching :)

brownsfn2

I always find your posts amusing and amazing at the same time. The look of that is just so cool. It also made me laugh out loud to consider the material and the thought that went into it.

Thanks for that. Nice pen!

firewhatfire

The Avaz Twist Tower is Sarejevo came to mind when I saw this pen. Just because I always think what is next from there and how would I manage it if I tried. Poorly I imagine.

I would think that or the building in Dubai would appeal to your strong sense of design.

Nice little slimline you got there.

Phil

D.Oliver

Did you end up measuring the wall thickness of the spacers? In that second picture it looks like you almost turned them down to nothing!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow!! I certainly didn't expect this pen to be so popular. Thank you!!:)

Derek, I didn't measure at the time, so I just checked now...the outside diameter of the spacers are 7.3mm and I drilled the hole out to 6.8mm, so that means the wall thickness is around 0.25mm, which I think is around 9 thou in old money.:wink:

texta

love the idea ,great looking pen . i would of thought the hardest part would of been drilling out the washers to fit the tubes not much to hold em by .

johno

Skie_M

Hmmm ... very VERY visually appealing pen, I like it.

As I look at it, I think of ways I could use my humble wood shop to do something like that...

Like .... glue a bunch of 6MM washers together while on a temp mandrel and then drilling the stack all at once to get the right inner diameter .... then gang cut the entire outside stack while on a mandrel using a light touch with carbide tools.... one stack would be the spacers cut without bushings and made very thin, and the other stack would be the profile cut between bushings.

I'm thinking I could do something like this with brass or aluminum shim stock with similar results, as those metals are much softer and easier for me to turn on my lathe.

Top Bottom