114 Piece Segmented Celtic Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rolandranch

Rolandranch

I got two orders for these pens and thought I'd show them off before shipping them out.

They each have 19 layers of wood:
  • Wenge
  • Walnut (thin)
  • Mesquite
  • Ebony (thin)
  • Purple Heart
  • Maple (thin)
  • Ebony
  • Cherry (thin)
  • Red Heart
  • Walnut (thin)
  • Blonde Hickory
  • Ebony (thin)
  • Mahogany
  • Maple (thin)
  • Cocobolo
  • Cherry (thin)
  • Padauk
  • Walnut (thin)
  • Bubinga

KK2X4185.jpg

KK2X4178.jpg

KK2X4181.jpg

KK2X4155.jpg

KK2X4167.jpg

Comments are welcome.
Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Shades of of the book "Laminated Designs in Wood: Techniques, Patterns, Projects" Dec 31, 1999 by Clarence Rannefeld. One of the classic books on the art of cutting and rearranging strip laminations.

Well done

Oh how hard it was to find that book. So expensive. I think I even asked here back a few years ago when I was looking. Can only find used copies. Fantastic book to have for segmenting work.

Wow it was back in 2011
www.penturners.org/forum/f18/looking-book-74834/

Love the segmenting work. Nice job on the pens. Thanks for showing.

Last edited:
pictures

I got two orders for these pens and thought I'd show them off before shipping them out.

They each have 19 layers of wood:
  • Wenge
  • Walnut (thin)
  • Mesquite
  • Ebony (thin)
  • Purple Heart
  • Maple (thin)
  • Ebony
  • Cherry (thin)
  • Red Heart
  • Walnut (thin)
  • Blonde Hickory
  • Ebony (thin)
  • Mahogany
  • Maple (thin)
  • Cocobolo
  • Cherry (thin)
  • Padauk
  • Walnut (thin)
  • Bubinga

View attachment 152079

View attachment 152075

View attachment 152076

View attachment 152077

View attachment 152078

Comments are welcome.
Thanks for looking!
Do you have any pics. of the blank before you turned it?

KenV

Shades of of the book "Laminated Designs in Wood: Techniques, Patterns, Projects" Dec 31, 1999 by Clarence Rannefeld. One of the classic books on the art of cutting and rearranging strip laminations.

Well done

Oh how hard it was to find that book. So expensive. I think I even asked here back a few years ago when I was looking. Can only find used copies. Fantastic book to have for segmenting work.

Wow it was back in 2011

Amazon has used copies for $30-35 (including shipping) on a pretty regular basis. This pen uses the Rannefeld techniques very effectively. Expensive is relative.

At pen scale, the work needs to be dead on precise and the photo shows the precision was nailed.

jttheclockman

Well done

Wow it was back in 2011

Amazon has used copies for $30-35 (including shipping) on a pretty regular basis. This pen uses the Rannefeld techniques very effectively. Expensive is relative.

At pen scale, the work needs to be dead on precise and the photo shows the precision was nailed.

Back when I was looking for that book all you could find was used copies for $100--$200 a copy. That is no lie. There are new ones today at Amazon for $50 if it is true. Found sometimes that is not the case with Amazon. Next thing it is backordered and never comes. Been there done that.

That book is for the more advanced segmenters and people who can make jigs. Great book if you are into segmenting. Have a few others and all the videos by Malcome Tibbetts (love his work)This is a passion I want to work on before I leave this earth, God willing.

It does take precision when working with such a small canvas but the results are always amazing and this was no exception. love seeing these things.

This young man is so far advanced it amazes me when his work shows up. The sky is the limit for him and can not wait to see what he does next. We all should take a page out of his work ethic book. Thanks for showing and keep up the great work.

Last edited:

OZturner

Spectacular Work Seth,
The Detail is Mind Blowing.
Something in my head keeps telling me "Don't Try It".
So I think I will have to let my Head lead my Heart.
You would have to do this for the Challenge, you couldn't do it for its rightful payment.
Congratulations, and thanks for the Stimulating Post, I'll now take my Medication, and be content to just Dream.
Brian.

Top Bottom