110 Year Old Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I believe this wood is Spruce . It's from my aunt & uncles house built in 1898 I get to make 19 of these for family members who were at this house for reunions & other gatherings . I chose the Baron kit to dress them with . Got them from Bill at Arizona Silhouette . I took the photos with a piece of the wood in it's original state . Thanks for any comments ! [8D]

200851974150_IMG_0111.jpg

200851974220_IMG_0110.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Andrew ! I'm just guessing at Spruce , based on a blank that was sent to me by Micah , which was marked as Spruce . It had the same grain , color , texture , weight & overall appearance . And I don't think anyone in the family really cares what kind of wood it is !! :D[:eek:)]
Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

very nice - doesn't look like spruce to me, but I've never seen spruce that's that old either!

Andrew

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Ken ! The Baron gave me pretty much what I was looking for in style , 2 barrels to show more wood and a reasonable price . [8D]
Originally posted by bitshird

Chuck, what ever type wood it is the pen is very nice, Barons are a nice kit any way, mthe family should really enjoy them.;););)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
No problem cousin ! I'll put you on the list for $20.00 Thanks for your comments ! I appreciate it ! [8D]
Originally posted by Ozzy

I think I maybe a long lost cousin....you can send my pen to me. The pen looks great, your family will love them.

Hello

Howdy Chuck!
The pen does look nice!...have you made a pen from the stuff I sent? In the few that I've made from the spruce I have (and sent) look different than the photo you posted.
I'd made Barons also.....and the grain was...how do I explain...."fatter" is that technical term?...and the grain has this gray lines in it....they show up very well when the piece is angle cut. The photo you've posted looks quite a bit like some walnut pens I've made.
I wish I were a wood expert sometimes! haha

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Micah ,
I did make one pen from your stuff & posted it here , but don't remember which wood . I AM just guessing at this one they are so similar . I AM ignoran to wood ID . May have to send a piece off somewhere . I do know it's not Walnut ! Thanks for the comments ! [8D]
Originally posted by Hello

Howdy Chuck!
The pen does look nice!...have you made a pen from the stuff I sent? In the few that I've made from the spruce I have (and sent) look different than the photo you posted.
I'd made Barons also.....and the grain was...how do I explain...."fatter" is that technical term?...and the grain has this gray lines in it....they show up very well when the piece is angle cut. The photo you've posted looks quite a bit like some walnut pens I've made.
I wish I were a wood expert sometimes! haha

airrat

I have the doors off my Grandfather's cabin. He built it back in the 20's and last year it was sold and tore down. I need to make a pen out of some of it soon.

mitchm

Excellent way to keep the memories alive. Bonus that the pen is stunning! And my wife thinks "scrapbooking" is the way to go, I've got news for her, going to cut the 100 year old family chair into pen blanks!:):D:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great idea Tom . I thought for a moment , and considered the conditions and the tools he must have used to build that cabin . Make yourself a pen ! Thanks for your comments ! [8D]
Originally posted by airrat

I have the doors off my Grandfather's cabin. He built it back in the 20's and last year it was sold and tore down. I need to make a pen out of some of it soon.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike I'm on your side ! But , I think they should be some really nice looking pens , or you may find yourself in HOTTER water !! Thanks for your comments ! :D[8D]
Originally posted by mitchm

Excellent way to keep the memories alive. Bonus that the pen is stunning! And my wife thinks "scrapbooking" is the way to go, I've got news for her, going to cut the 100 year old family chair into pen blanks!:):D:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you Chris ! The family members are all very excited about the pens and the idea . I am trying to get a Certificate made to go with the pens to commemorate them . A friend of mine is doing this for me ,as he's done those before . Thanks for your comments ! [8D]
Originally posted by Buzz

Agree with other posters. Great work, they are sure to be appreciated.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you Rob ! But I still am not sure that it is in fact Spruce !! BTW , I like the quote in your signature ! [8D]
Originally posted by BigRob777

Wow, who knew spruce could look so nice? Good job.
Rob

Top Bottom