11 yr old Son's 2nd Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spaceengravers

Here's my son's second pen. It turned out pretty good. I helped him drill the blank (using the lathe this time) but the rest he did while I was washing the car...He had some frustrations along the way...he had two blanks blow out while trying to square the ends (some kind of stablized wood, not sure why) and then one of Padauk blanks blew out while turning close to the nib end...but I explained that it happens to all of us no matter how many we do...so he selected the Zebra wood for the other end of his pen and started again. It was amazing how much faster that half went...so he's definitely improving...He kept this pen for himself.

Slimline pen from IAP member
Padauk and Zebra wood

Enjoy and comments are welcome! BTW, he also took this picture so he could post it on Facebook...didn't do a bad job of that either! Can you tell I'm a proud father?

Mike

Attachments

• Red Zebra pen by Derek - 2.jpg
    Red Zebra pen by Derek - 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WildcatHollow

The creativity of youth...

...they're not old enough to know that there are constraints, so their creativity flows freely. You can see a youthful playfulness in the shape and proportions of the pen.

Well done.

t.

jbostian

Very nice, you should be a proud father. I look forward to the time I can teach my son. He is only 6 but very interested in the pens I make. Every time I make a pen he gets excited and asks to see it and inspects it very carefully. I am not sure what he is looking for but he looks like he knows what he is doing LOL.

Jamie

DennisM

Very nice pen!

I usually dont like the abstracts in pens, but this one catches the eye rather nicely!

The creativeness of it is refreshing. Look forward to seeing him progress!

Top Bottom