11 new pens: various finishes and materials!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

This is my latest update! I would like to point out I absolutely like the fantastic feathers blanks, they turn so easy, finish like a charm, every turner should pay itself a little treat like those and they look awesome.

On the other hand, I had a really bad experience with trustone, the pen turned out fine (see below), anyone has advice on the type of tool that should be used to turn those?

On that note, enjoy the show!

Feathers on Gent Jr Kit, CA glue, sanded to 12k then plastic polished.

Feathers on Gent Jr Kit, sanded to 12k then plastic polish.

Red Dino Trustone on Zen Kit, WAS A PAIN TO TURN, sanded to 12k.

Cocobolo crotch on Zen Kit, sanded to 1000 then renaissance waxed and sanded with 0000 wool to make a mat finish, I really liked the grain and veins on that one, did not want to fill those.

Afzelia Burl on Gold Emperor Jr, CA glue, sanded to 12k then plastic polished.

Purpleheart on Jr Gent Kit, CA glue, 0000 wool sanded to achieve a nice mat finish.

Cocobolo two tones on Jr Gent Kit, CA glue, sanded to 12k then plastic polished.

100 years old oak wine barrel on Jr Gent Kit, CA glue, sanded to 12k then plastic polished.

Black Freebie Blank on Patriot Kit, sanded to 12k then plastic polished.

Green Freebie Blank on Patriot Kit, sanded to 12k then plastic polished.

Afzelia burl on Patriot Kit, sanded to 12k then plastic polished.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Fantastic work! I think I'll try the feathers if they're as good as you say.

I've turned four of the fantastic feathers and they are BETTER than he said! :biggrin: Turn like soft butter and shine like new money!

Great bunch of pens. Very nice work.

jppensplus

The ease or difficulty of turning "Truestone" blanks varies a lot--some are very easy, some are difficult, but all require keeping your tools very sharp--but all will turn out great when you exercise patience--

Rick_G

A great looking group of pens. I really like the looks of the feather blanks. I've turned a few truestone and found my best results with a very sharp scraper. I've heard the carbide tools are good but I don't have one so can't say from experience. On this stuff I found I have to sharpen almost as often with my good scraper as I do the cheap Chinese one so I use the cheap Chinese one. Make a couple passes and sharpen, make a couple more passes sharpen.

Top Bottom