1000th post, 100th pen...or so....THANKS IAP!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I have lost track of the number of actual pens I have made. It is somewhere between 100 and 120. I have been doing this for about 5 months and have made about $3000. It has been a great way to get tool money so I don't have to beg from my wife.

I do know this is my 1000th post. I saved this one today. I wanted to post a new pen. I was writing something down today and grabbed a pen from our pen cubby and it happened to be one of the first 5 pens I did. Now I look at this one and all I can say is THANKS IAP! You guys/gals as a group have had a tremendous effect on my craftsmanship and artsmanship.

THANK YOU ALL!!

This pen was fun. It is from some beautiful curly mahogany from BB. Very gold, very chatoyant. Nice to turn and finish. This is a Baron, 24k gold trim. It is a custom closed end form done with a scroll chuck and a wooden dowel as a mandrel. It has a custom wood finial and I booted out the extra trim rings. I think I have a new favorite pocket pen.

Comments and critiques are welcome, encouraged and begged for. Next time I will rub my fingerprint of the nib.

DSC01928.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bud duffy

Congratulations , so now you are in the HAC huh! I like it, does the cap post over the knob on the end? Just curious dosnt matter i still like it. Bud

PenWorks

Very fine looking pen Shane. Really like the way you worked the cap. Nice piece of curly wood. Congrats on both accounts [8D]

Skordog

Shane, nice pen. I was actually thinking of making one similar just yesterday. I think the Baron is kind of a nice little pen but I don't like the way the bare threads look on the back end when the pen is closed. So, I was thinking of enclosing it in wood like you did.

At first I thought I would not be able to change the refill but then I discovered that the front unscrews. (it's been a while since I made it. [^]). Did you just put the spring inside of the back of the tube? Actually I guess the tube would not be quite long enough so you would have had to have drilled the hole deeper.

Bottom line: can you share your technique for doing this pen?

Thanks,

Jeff

Daniel

It may only be his 999th post but with praise like that the next one is a gimme. welcome to the HAC'ers. and here is to the progress the next 100 pens will show.

Deere41h

Hey Shane...That is going to make a great new pocket pen. I wish I had one like it. Nice to have another out of the box turner here at IAP. We continue to learn from pens like this. Thanks for sharing it with us and welcome to the HAC club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom