100 Pens to make

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Just got accepted into three shows near where I live so, now I have to make enough to show. I have 58 already made and I just spent the last few hours planning out another 100!!

I like to cut them all at once, drill them all at once, mill them all at once. That should take a full weekend and then I can just pick a dozen at a time and turn them/finish them in a weekend.

Wish me luck!! These all have to be made by May 17th and I'm away for two weekends between now and then.

Should be fun!

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpg
    IMG_3646.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_3647.jpg
    IMG_3647.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 543

yorkie

I create a spreadsheet to organize these mass-build projects, which makes it easier to keep track and then I can select all the ones with the same kit and sort by drill bit etc. Helps keep it streamlined and I can refer back if I get the blanks mixed up. I also keep track of any that break and have to replace the blank/if it got completed. Yes, I am insanely anal! It's a problem. :bulgy-eyes:

Here is the entire list of all the pens I will be making. I have attached the spreadsheet in case anyone will find it useful; there are more columns on the spreadsheet than below.

I'll keep adding to this chain with the progress and pens as I finish them. All together now...arghhhhhh!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :)

Pen KitFinishMaterialStratusBlack Enamel2 tone African BlackwoodTetra StylusGold/GMCrosscut CocoboloTetra StylusGM/GoldThailand Rosewood BurlTetra StylusGold/ChromeCherry BurlTetra StylusGM/ChromeWengeGraduate TwistGMSpalted Sycamore-StabilizedGraduate TwistGoldBox Elder Burl-StabilizedGraduate RollerballGMBuckeye burl-StabilizedGraduate RollerballChromeAlaska Yellow Cedar BurlGraduate RollerballGoldYew BurlExecutive TwistGMCrosscut African BlackwoodExecutive TwistBTAustralian Rose MyrtleExecutive TwistBrushed SatinPink IvoryExecutive TwistBlack EnamelDogwoodRollesterGMBethlehem Olive woodRollesterChromeSpalted CherryGuardian Jr. ClickerGMDalmation EbonyGuardian Jr. ClickerGoldBlack LocustGuardian Jr. ClickerGoldMaple burlGuardian Jr. ClickerGMKingwoodGuardian Jr. ClickerChromeAustralian Gum Root Burl (Cigar Wood)Ultra CigarChrome/Satin Chrome100 year old English WalnutCigarBlack ChromeBois De RoseCigarBlack ChromeRed Dyed Buckeye BurlCigarSatin BlackGrey & Brown Mallee AmalgumCigarChromeFigured IronwoodVertexGMSpalted Pecan-StabilizedVertexBlack EnamelStaghorn SumacJr. Gent TwistRhodiumThailand Rosewood BurlJr. Gent TwistRhodiumBuckeye burl-StabilizedStylusGMAustralian Red MalleeStylusGoldBlack PalmPressimoEtched CapPurple LilacPressimoEtched CapBeeswing Figured NarraPressimoSatin CapAntique Longleaf PinePressimoSatin CapHonduran Rosewood BurlMajestic SquireGold/BTCrosscut Zebra woodMajestic SquireGold/ChromeAfzelia XylayMajestic SquireGold/BTEnglish Walnut Burl-StabilizedMajestic SquireGold/Chrome2 Tone Curly African MahoganyRetroChromePadaukMajestic Jr RollerballGold/RhodiumBlue/Maple AmalgumAtrax RollebrallChromeExtreme Chechen BurlNavigator RollerballChromeCavateo RosewoodVirage RollerballChromeHonduran Rosewood BurlVictorian TwistPewterGaboon EbonyCeltic TwistAntique BrassVerawoodZenChrome2 Tone Afzelia Burl-StabilizedZenBTCloud Figured ZiricoteZenChromeTasmanian Sassafrass-StabilizedZenGoldBox Elder Burl-StabilizedZenGoldBlack Nargusta BurlZenGoldEnglish Yew BurlLe Roi Elegant MajorChrome/GoldYork Gum BurlLe Roi Elegant MajorChrome/GoldEnglish Yew BurlLong ClickerBTAAAAA KoaLong ClickerGoldGreen Dyed/Stabilized Black Ash BurlLong ClickerChromeMission Olive WoodLong ClickerChromeAustralian Shiraz Vine-StabilizedManhattan ClickerGoldTulip WoodManhattan ClickerBTCrosscut CocoboloManhattan ClickerBTThuya BurlManhattan ClickerBTKiaatManhattan ClickerChromeAfromosia MapleManhattan ClickerChromePaper Birch BurlJr CeresChromeBlue AcrylicJr CeresChromeStars & StripesBolt Action RifleBTDiamondback RattlesnakeBolt Action RifleChromePrairie RattlesnakeBolt Action RifleBlack EnamelAustralian Jungle CamoBolt Action RifleChromeAustralian Forest CamoRifle TwistChromeAustralian Desert CamoStratusChromeCoffee Bean AcrylicVertexChromeAustralian Blue Chrome AcrylicSpartanChromeDeep Purple Acrylic/Cholla CactusDuchess TwistChrome/GoldBubblegum AcrylicDuchess TwistChromeBubblegum AcrylicDuchess TwistChromeAustralian Pixie AcrylicPanache RollerballRodhiumEarth's Core AcrylicExecutive TwistBlack EnamelTru-Stone Persian TurquoiseContinental TwistChromeAustralian Golden Steel AcrylicKnight's ArmourPewterStainless Steel MokumeWall Street IIBlack/PlatinumSilver Leaf AcrylicCompsonBTAustralian Doodle AcrylicCompsonBTCarbon FiberLong ClickerChromeAustralian Cauldren AcrylicManhattan ClickerChromeAustralian Mermaid AcrylicSpartanGMAustralian Diablo AcrylicGuardian Jr. ClickerGoldWoodcraft Black/Gold AcrylicPrincess TwistChrome/Pink CrystalsAustralian Lollie Shop AcrylicRoyal CrownGoldAustralian Lollie Shop AcrylicGraduate TwistBlack EnamelAustralian Lava AcrylicZenGoldAustralian Plum Custard AcrylicZenChromeAustralian Frosty Morn AcrylicLong ClickerBTAustralian Honduran Rosewood Burl AcrylicCigarChromeAustralian Baja AcrylicCigarBright CopperAustralian Chocolate Velvet AcrylicCigarBrushed SatinAustralian Monochrome AcrylicPressimoEtched CapAustralian Charoite AcrylicRetroChromeAustralian Earth Marble Acrylic

Attachments

• Pen Making List.xls
    36.5 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Sound like you have it down to a science. I sure you going to have some awasome pens. Hope you'll post some pictures of the finished work.

ironman123

Looks like you have your work lined out and have the plan. Here is hoping you get it all done and have three prosperous shows.

Ray

yorkie

Looks like a pen warehouse blew up... Can you explain what you mean by cutoff and half?

It's an inventory management thing. I mark them down as cutoffs or half so that when I build the assemblies in Quick books I know to mark it is as a 0.5 of a blank or not. I save all my cutoffs as some are long enough for certain pens.

Hope that helps.

OZturner

Stephen, What are you doing wasting valuable Front End Time, Writing and Posting?

There are Pens to Make!

Plenty of time (we hope) after the 100 are made to gabble on the IAP web site.

Joking aside, I am glad it is you and not me.
I would be a nervous, sleepless wreck.

If it can be done, You are the Man.

I won't wish you Good Luck, it takes more than Luck, it takes systematic planning, organisation, and single minded determination.

Plus gallons of Coffee, and a devoted, supportive wife and family.
Go For It!
Brian.

yorkie

Now 110 pens!

This has continued to grow, and is now 110 pens!

So, here they are all cut, drilled, tubed (reverse painted) and milled. Getting 110 pens ready to turn created quite a mess!

Attachments

• IMG_3651.jpg
    IMG_3651.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3652.jpg
    IMG_3652.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_3655.jpg
    IMG_3655.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 261

Sawdust1825

And you had to have them sorted so as to drill the blanks with drill bit changes only as required and milling the ends as well. Keep us posted on your progress. Looks like you are off to great start but of course turning and finishing will go a bit slower. Look forward to updates.

OZturner

Stephen, when I saw all that material laid out so neat and organised on your benches.
I was struck with fear.
Is your workshop, Possum, Racoon and Skunk proof?
They could make one unholy mess of all your organisation if they got in.
Though. is it still a bit too cold for them right now?
I don't want to Jonah you, just thought I should ask.
Regards,
Brian.

yorkie

Here are some of the pens I've been making from the list.

Picture #1 from left to right:
Australian Shiraz Vine, Mission Olive wood, Crosscut Cocobolo, Honduran Rosewood Burl acrylic, Spalted English Beech, Black Lava acrylic, Spalted Pecan, vlue chrome acrylic, two tone African Blackwood, Buckeye burl with aluminum inlay, Thailand Rosewood burl, Diablo acrylic.

Picture #2 from left to right:
Stainless Steel Mokume, two tone Verawood, Crosscut Cocobolo, Tru-Stone Mother of Pearl, Plum Custard acrylic, Tru-Stone Conch Shell, Tru-Stone Sanoran Sunset, Lollipop Acrylic, Lollipop Acrylic, Texas Bluebonnet flowers in resin, Cauldren Acrylic

Picture #3 from left to right:
Dessert Camo, Dessert Camo, USS North Carolina Teak, Jungle Camo, Jungle Camo, Forest Camo, Rattlesnake, Diamond back, Prairie Rattlesnake, Coon Snake, Feathers, Abalone Shell,

Picture #4 from left to right:
Feathers, Australian Gume Root burl, Cocobolo burl, Australian Brown Mallee Amalgum, Alaskan Yellow Cedar burl, two tone Amboyna burl, Blue Blood acrylic, Tru-Stone Persian Turquoise, Australian Rose Myrtle burl, Tulip wood, Paper Birch burl, Antique Long Leaf Pine.

Attachments

• Picture #1.jpg
    Picture #1.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Picture #2.jpg
    Picture #2.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Picture #3.jpg
    Picture #3.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Picture #4.jpg
    Picture #4.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 246

Charlie_W

Stephen, WOW! Great selection of pens as well as materials! All are looking very, very sharp there!
By the way, I see some Super display stands too!

Let us know how the shows go.

ossaguy

That's a fine collection of pens there,Wow!

Love all the variety,I hope it's a sell out for you.

Steve

Stephen, I going out on a limb here and say you are not married and have no children or you are like me and have your own check book and your wife has no idea how much a pen kit cost. They look GREAT and hope you have a GREAT show.

OZturner

A Beautiful array of Exquisite Pens, Stephen.
Your Superb Fit and Finish, applied to Perfection.
Congratulations on your progress, I can't think of any one who could tackle such a Task.
Brian.

clieb91

A really great looking array of pens thus far. Great way to organize everything as well. I generally work from one maybe two types of kits but I do prefer to take a weekend and get a bunch of blanks prepared so I can pull them down an needed and and as I have time to work on them. Thanks for the pics and some great tips.

CtL

yorkie

Stephen, I going out on a limb here and say you are not married and have no children or you are like me and have your own check book and your wife has no idea how much a pen kit cost. They look GREAT and hope you have a GREAT show.

Partially right. No kids but the wife has the checkbook. :) Fortunately, I make enough selling my pens that it all pays for itself and more. I had to make it an LLC since I was getting orders from companies but with this latest project, I am squarely in the red. Here's hoping it's a good show, guys! :eek::smile-big::eek:

yorkie

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I have another 64 pens to go over the next three weeks and they are cut, drilled, tubed, milled and ready to go on the lathe. I'll post the pics as I go and of the finished display. I'll let you know what sells, how much on average etc. etc.

Have a great rest of the weekend, guys.

BTW, all are CA finish.

Last edited:

yorkie

I thought I was obsessed.... when and where is this show?

The show is in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. It's about 1 hour from where I live.

My goal is to have 160 pens ready for the show. I don't sell them too cheap, so I shouldn't be going through them too fast. I'm doing three shows there this summer so I'd like to sell 30 pens per show for between $80-$120 per pen; and that feels like a cheap price to me.

mremington

Great looking pens! I like the way you went into production mode. Quite the task but you certainly seem up to it.

Good luck at the shows.

Top Bottom