10 Pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MDWine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

My first attempt at a "production run", still have some kinks to work out, and a lot to learn about finishing and pen design. The Cherry and Yew pens are very nice, while the Apple pen is a real stinker. Our Ornamental Plum is going to make some nice pens, if the test piece is any indication!

Better pictures in the album, commments/suggestions/critique are graciously accepted.

sm01a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

The piece on the left is part of a branch from our Ornamental Plum tree, in our front yard. My wife gave it to me after pruning the tree, and seeing some very nice color in the wood. This piece did not have that color, but some other pieces do. I turned this one and finished it just like I would have a pen blank, and I really like it. I think it will make some nice pens. There's a closer view of each piece in my "10 Pens" album.

swm6500

That is a pretty nice looking bunch of pens Michael. I would not count the apple out yet, you never know what will appeal to a potential customer.

JimGo

Well done Michael! Personally, I like the Apple. I also really like the way the Yew looks. But what happened to the rest? I mean, you had the house to yourself for at least a day or two!

low_48

Just my kind of pens, let the wood do the talking, don't try to kill it with details!! Great selection of pens, really nice work.

Rich

atvrules1

Michael, those are very nice. I have a whole row of decorative plums along the yard and have been using them for pens for a while. The grain is tight enough to show of very well in a pen, and it usually is very easy to turn without problems. Glad you found them. Keep at it.

MDWine

Thanks everyone!
Will, I've gotten so much from this site, it would be hard to thank only one person... Although JimGo, Lou and Tom were brave enough to meet me and help me along!! [;)]

Randy, I didn't think much of the Dymondwood, actually. As you turn it and finish, some of the veneers got very thin, and didn't have the rich color I was expecting... ALTHOUGH, most people that have seen it liked it very much... What the heck do I know?[:p]... I just like makin'm !!!!!

rtgleck

Michael,

Yea, I haven't tried a dymondwood blank yet, but it just seemed to stand out in that picture. Like you said though, you can never tell what people are going to like from one day to another. That's what makes this fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom