That’s A What??? Pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

A few weeks back I dropped off three PVC pipe Pens to a construction site and sitting on a table was this hunk of metal (1st photo) when I inquired as to what it was, I was told that it is a hydraulic piston from a pump that had failed. The yard boss told me I could have it if I wanted it. So I have been playing around with some ideas as to what to do with it, then I saw skiprats tool box pen and it all came together for me. :thunder: Every thing about this pen is a first for me, :confused: First closed end, first kitless, first metal (all stainless). First I decided to use stainless nuts and bolts to form the sleeve for the cap and the nib. My friend John (IAP Member desertrat) gave me some stainless rod, and also helped with the threading of the body of the pen with some top of the line taps. All of the metal was turned on my HF metal lath, the body has a 4 degree taper on each end. The nib was first straight cut from a ½"-13 bolt then I did a 6 degree cut then finished with a 10 degree cut. All of the metal has been sanded to 320 then crocus clothed. The cap weighs 50.7 grams and the pen weighs 80.1 grams, total 130.8 but it feels great in my hand, the cap does not post. I can use the cap as a paper weight while I work with the pen.:rolleyes:
Any Comments or Suggestions welcome, Thanks for looking.
And a big thanks to John for the help.

Attachments

• nib-piston 012.jpg
    nib-piston 012.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 223
  • nib-piston 010.jpg
    nib-piston 010.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 302
  • nib-piston 014.jpg
    nib-piston 014.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 279
  • nib-piston 016.jpg
    nib-piston 016.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 297
  • nib-piston 018.jpg
    nib-piston 018.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 328

johncrane

Id say you've done a fantastic job Max! being all first time, i love the body and a bit iffy with the cap, id say the round ball cap would be a first here too,New design is a good thing so keep them coming.

ldb2000

Max ... ya done did good !!! :highfive:

You do realize though , once you start with this stuff it gets harder and harder to go back to kits :wink::biggrin:

Last edited:

PenPal

Well seen , excellent inspiration and faultless execution providing an immaculate pen.

This is what is called application, takes guts and determination creating, thinking, plotting and machining.

I love it.

Peter.

maxman400

Looks very cool Max. What stops the cap from unscrewing the nib sometimes when you remove it?
Jeff, Friction is what holds it. Since the thread in the body is tapered when the nib is screwed in to the body it locks in tight, it takes more force to remove it than the cap.

lorbay

Way cool, did you thread that on the lathe with dies or with the lathe threading capabilities????. I can't wait to get my new metal lathe out of the crate, I have only had it 2 months. Lol

Lin.

maxman400

Way cool, did you thread that on the lathe with dies or with the lathe threading capabilities????. I can't wait to get my new metal lathe out of the crate, I have only had it 2 months. Lol

Lin.
The threaded part on the nib is a stainless 1/2" bolt, and a 1/2" nut turned down to fit in to the cap.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey!!! Listen here you!!! Didn't anyone tell you that I'm the only one that's allowed to make pens from nuts and bolts????:mad::biggrin: Jeesh, the cheek!!!!:eek:

Send it to me and I'll forgive you:tongue::biggrin:

Very well done!!! Next goal is to reduce the weight:biggrin:

maxman400

Hey!!! Listen here you!!! Didn't anyone tell you that I'm the only one that's allowed to make pens from nuts and bolts????:mad::biggrin: Jeesh, the cheek!!!!:eek:

Send it to me and I'll forgive you:tongue::biggrin:

Very well done!!! Next goal is to reduce the weight:biggrin:

Skip what can I say, you inspire a lot of people. :) And I would Like To Thank all of those that left feed back for all of their support, it's this kind of support that drives us on to the next project.:biggrin:
:confused:I am thinking aluminum.....

Nice. How was the stainless on your HF lathe. I just got some SS rod but have heard it's a bear to turn. A friend gave me a small Titanium rod too, but I think that is a whole different story.

Great work!

maxman400

Nice. How was the stainless on your HF lathe. I just got some SS rod but have heard it's a bear to turn. A friend gave me a small Titanium rod too, but I think that is a whole different story.

Great work!
The lathe did excellent, But I don't have any thing else to compare it to. I also used the carbide tipped cutters from HF with no problems. The only issue I had was trying to tap the body with a HF Tap, I had to turn to John (desertrat) for help :redface: with a high dollar Tap. :) I just made sure I took small cuts (lots and lots of small cuts).

Top Bottom