*Warning* under construction!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

No..the pen is complete, but yes, it's a construction warning pen! The nib and finial twist were scavenged out of my brass plumbing parts bucket. The nib was a hose coupler, with octagon head, I spun the head round, removed the threads and re-drilled it and re-tapped for M8x.75 and the inside flow hole was too large for a parker refill, so I spun a small rod of brass and jammed it inside and soldered it into place before re-drilling for the refill. The top is a compression nut fitting drilled to receive the activator tube. The clip is a gold JR kit clip.

I think it's a cool pen, although a bit large for my liking and just a hair overspun, meaning I can see just a hint of shadow in the sides of the pen from the black inlays. Really was meant for a JR kit, but I don't care much for the kits, and even as a JR style pen the cap would require a touch of body to contain the bars and symbols without any shadows of black through the yellow..probably best suited for an El Grande type pen. It's not comfortable to use this pen either..the nib just isn't comfy, but it functions and makes a cool conversation piece.

construction1.jpg

construction2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Say what you want Jeff but, from here it looks cool. And, I'm sure the results are worth the effort. I don't see a thing wrong with it. Thanks for posting it. I'll be looking at this one quite a bit.

OOPS

I have to agree that it is inspirational. You put a lot of work into that one and shows us what can be done with some imagination. Plus it gives insight as to just how difficult it is to come up with a new pen design from scratch. Thanks for posting the photos.

soligen

By looking at it I can understand what you are sayign about it not being Comfy, But, it sure does look cool!!

You could change the nosecone design, but I think it would loose something of the cool factor. If you are goign to make more, what about making them into a lazer pointer?

bitshird

Jeff What the heck have you been drinking?? You used enough plumbing parts to make a small still. Then you could just sip outa that barrel under the boxelder tree!!

Pretty cool actually, sometimes it's fun to make something that is just marginally useful I think you are getting too much free time LOL

PR_Princess

Another vote for waaay cool Jeff! I really like the blank and how you spun the brass. Very creative, and definitely a pen that will make you look twice!:cool:

MOtrooper

Say what you want Jeff but, from here it looks cool. And, I'm sure the results are worth the effort. I don't see a thing wrong with it. Thanks for posting it. I'll be looking at this one quite a bit.

I agree with you. It's so easy to pick out one's own "mistakes," but the recipient or customer will rarely if ever recognize them.

ToddMR

Wow Jeff what a cool pen. Nice job. I know I couldn't do something like that. You did a very good job on adding the parts and figuring out how to make things work imo.

wizard

Jeff, That is an awesome pen! I love the theme and the construction (sorry, couldn't help myself:rolleyes:) of the pen. Very cool looking. Thanks for showing. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom