**Updated Pics** Slightly Different Herringbone 360

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

I wanted to do a full sized H360. I wanted to make it double closed ended. AND I didn't want to burn up 9 blanks in the process. A total of 4.5 blanks were used. The segments are orange, purple, and white curly maple and the other part is orange buckeye burl. The kit is a full sized Gent.

h360gent2sm.jpg

h360gentopensm.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

That is a beautiful pen !!. Can't wait to see it finished. You do beautiful work! Outstanding job! I wish I could complete a pen with a hidden clip. Is the full size Gentleman easier to do a hidden clip than a Jr. Gent? Doc

hewunch

Is the full size Gentleman easier to do a hidden clip than a Jr. Gent? Doc

I honestly think the Full Size is marginally more difficult, but I hadn't really thought about it until you asked. The reason why it is more difficult is nib length. If you modify the centerband and do a hidden clip it is very easy to make the inside too short so that you can no longer cap it.

workinforwood

It's very well done Hans, and the shape is great. Otherwise, I don't like it. I think what I dislike is the color combination. The purple with the orange is really in your face, and I think that because it is angled and spliced into the pen it makes the purple segments even stranger. Sorry.

hewunch

Jeff I hear what you are saying and I appreciate your honesty. I hope the new pictures will show it better. The reason for the color scheme is that it is a Clemson pen. Their colors are Orange, White and Purple. I probably would have just done orange and white if I had it to do over. It was my first H360 so it was a learning experience.

Last edited:

witz1976

and this is how opinions differ. I actually like the purple segments it makes them pop and you can see the fine craftsmanship. I too cannot wait for the finished pics!

OKLAHOMAN

Hans, your execution is suburb, but I guess I'm just not a fan of the combination....or maybe it's Clemson:wink:. Your workmanship is something I'm envious of..

KenV

Outstanding technique -- Love the use of a custom nib holder and the recessed clip to provide good custom aspects of the work.

The orange ends seem to detract from the school colors and the orange color overwhelms the light maple and purpose. A more neutral color/pattern to highlight and support the three colors for the schools is likely going to be more focused with less dominance of the orange hues.

Hans -- I never seem to see these clearly until I am putting finish on, and then I am committed at that point. Most of these occasions there is someone who thinks it is the most wonderful pen ever -- so that helps me move ahead and think about the next opportunity.

hewunch

Ken, I totally hear what you are saying and could not agree more. I learned a ton from making this pen and made some mistakes that I hope to not make again. I never have claimed to be good with a color pallet. But if I can ever get my purdy to match up with my ability then I will have something :biggrin:

Brooks803

I think its awesome Hans! I like the colors. You're doing a great job with those custom grips. Which way did you do your clip? The same way you taught us at the demo or the way I showed you? Looks like I need to get in the shop and get to work! btw...what are the dimensions of your Herringbone peices?

hewunch

I think its awesome Hans! I like the colors. You're doing a great job with those custom grips. Which way did you do your clip? The same way you taught us at the demo or the way I showed you? Looks like I need to get in the shop and get to work! btw...what are the dimensions of your Herringbone peices?

Thanks Jonathon.
I did the clip the same way I always do them. I haven't played with my dremel yet.
The Herringbone pieces are 1/8" thick. I made them from 3/4 square stock, but it was WAY big.

gr8danish

VERY cool idea... I never thought about using one of my 360 blanks spliced like that. I've used them as segments in a straight banded design, but that's pretty unique.

I just may have to steal that concept from you ;)

Top Bottom