$20 Jackson's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I've aquired a pretty good stash of casting material and thought I should probably try and use some rather than just store it. These were inspired by Bruce119 and his Franklin blanks, so with his blessing I created Jackson's, made of real shredded $20 pieces. These are very time consuming, sorting out usable pieces and trying to glue words back together so I dont know how many I'll be making but they were a nice change from feathers.

The last picture is of a group of colored pencil alumilite casts I made and turned for my son's teacher's "end of school year" presents. I only wish I would have taken a better picture.

All comments welcome. Thanks!

Attachments

• jackson 1.jpg
    jackson 1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 384
  • jackson 2.jpg
    jackson 2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 337
  • colored pencils.jpg
    colored pencils.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 454
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Did you do the colored pencils in one big block and then just paint the pen tube? They look really cool.

I love the new Money blank as well. Good Job!

eranox

Those are super cool. I really like the colored pencil pens. A few weeks ago I saw someone post a method for making a ring in a similar manner. That's still on my to-do list.

JohnU

Did you do the colored pencils in one big block and then just paint the pen tube? They look really cool.

Yes, I used a cutting board self made mold that is wide enough to get two blanks out of one mold. I cut the pencils at an angle on the bandsaw so they fit in the molds at an angle and not side to side. I used alumilite to cast them for a stronger bond. I painted the hole and the tubes black prior to seating them with epoxy. They turn nice but the lead tends to slid out of the pencil when you drill and turn them. I kept picking up the longer pieces to glue back in place when I got them turned closer to size. It helped to saturate them once in a while with thin CA glue when turning and prior to sanding. That kept the lead in and stopped the wood from turning colors when sanding the colored lead. I also wiped them off with Acetone prior to sealing them with CA to clean them off. I've thought about stabilizing them before turning next time but I don't know if that will help with the lead slipping or not. They're pretty easy to make, just takes a little longer to keep them looking clean and not color contaminated.

JohnU

Thank you all for the nice comments!

I think I cornered the market on Bruce's Franklins. Still have many left, are you going to sell the Jackson's? I'd like some.

Kevin

There will occasionally be some for sale at Exoticblanks with the feather blanks. Just enough to give me a break from feathers. lol

OZturner

Beautiful Work, John.
You have the "Patience of 'Job' " to tackle either these tasks, let alone both.
Congratulations, they are Magnificent.
Definately out of my League.
Brian.

Top Bottom