$150 slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DestinTurnings

So...after seeing post after post of kitless/componentless pens posted by Watch_Art and others, I finally decided to make something I could sell for just as much but without all the effort and tooling.

I took a standard slim line kit, made the top 1/8" longer than the tube, left the centerband out, and plugged the top with a finial made from the same material. I didn't bother with all that tapping, and dies, and threading. I just turned a tennon and glued it in.

I should easily be able to sell this for a Benjamin and a half.

P40a.jpg

P40b.jpg

P40c.jpg

OF COURSE THIS IS A PARODY...A JOKE!
While I did make this pen, it was just for fun. I definitely would love to get into kitless making...threading and all! I realize I would never get $150 for a slimline!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boxerman

Very nice job on that slim.You can do so many different things with a slimline pen. You might to be able find sucker to buy for $150.:biggrin: I was thinking you ought get $200.:biggrin: Very nice blank and finial also.

Sataro

Great looking pen Dave!!! I see by your signature line you are retired AF. Did you work as a recruiter any?

Great looking pen Dave!!! I see by your signature line you are retired AF. Did you work as a recruiter any?

HAHA Nope....never was a recruiter. I won't say recruiters lie....but stretching the truth never really suited me.

I was AMMO for 22 years. I punched out last September after the USAF tried to send me to Afghanistan for a year working outside the wire. They wanted me to go around the entire country setting up bomb dumps for the Afghanies. I have three kids now and "Service before self" stopped being a priority for me. I knew that was my signal to retire.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam

HAHA Nope....never was a recruiter. I won't say recruiters lie....but stretching the truth never really suited me.

I was AMMO for 22 years. I punched out last September after the USAF tried to send me to Afghanistan for a year working outside the wire. They wanted me to go around the entire country setting up bomb dumps for the Afghanies. I have three kids now and "Service before self" stopped being a priority for me. I knew that was my signal to retire.

Congratulations! May we all thank you for the service you gave! Thanks:biggrin: Edit: Sorry, almost forgot, I LIKE the slim mod

Last edited:
This is one cool mod. Love what you did. Shawn, you cgot competition

HAHA....rest assured there is no competition nor is there any comparison to the pens Shawn is producing. This was my best attempt to emulate one of his designs.

I might like to make one with a better quality pen if I can find one that won't be grossly large in diameter.

Jjartwood

Beautiful work! Do you have ANY IDEA how many minds that you have just placed
into the What If mode ?
And $150.? There is a butt for every seat !

Beautiful work! Do you have ANY IDEA how many minds that you have just placed
into the What If mode ?
And $150.? There is a butt for every seat !

The name was purely to draw people in! I would truthfully never sell anything like this for $150. I would probably ask $35 for it. I could never really recoup my time. I think I put about two hours in it trying to size the tennon to the tube and seat the clip right. There was a ton of tooling changes from a chuck, to pen mandrel and then back.

I just did this to mess around. I am glad that people like it.

Chasper

You might be selling yourself short at $35. I would price this at $69, maybe $79 and see how much attention it would get. In TruStone it would be worth $89-$99 and in M3 metal it could sell for $125. Want to sell some of these for $35? I would like to talk about buying them and reselling for $69.

7mm pens at more than $100 pens are slow selling, but there are occasional buyers.

. . .grossly large in diameter? I felt that way before I lost weight.

76winger

Great looking slimline! I like the smooth overlapping transition (at least visually) at the mating of the lower and upper halves.

SDB777

Of course, I was thinking the $150.00 was without the 'customized' refill, which adds another $50.00:biggrin:

Seriously, slimlines are really fun to experiment with. And this is a good looking experiment, and you had fun! Purty blank too!!!

Scott (eBay for $100,000 starting bid) B

Top Bottom