"Zendemonium"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

redfishsc

Here's a half dozen Zens, all in Chrome except for the green PR casting, which is Black Ti. All pens were simply buffed with tripoli/white diamond and hit with Ren Wax. I have found on this kit you really have to get the blank nice and straight and close to the diameter of the bushing or it just feels weird in your hand. The green PR is fatter than it appears in the pic, but feels odd in the hand, but the Buffalo Horn pens, which are straight b2b, feel great.

Every blank except for the green PR came from CSA.

Water Buffalo Horn from CSA. I like this stuff. Hard to turn but very nice polish! Notice the shine! Only buffed and waxed, no CA.
Waterbuffalohorn_magtops.jpg

Closeup of one of the Water Buffalo pens.
waterbuffalohorn1_magtop.jpg

PR that I cast. I call it "Green Ocean". This kit is Black Ti.
PR_custom_magtop.jpg

Crushed Shell acrylic from CSA. Easy and fun to turn. This pen looks very classy in person. The pic lighting just wasn't quite right here.
crushed_shell_magtop.jpg

A pair of Blue Pearl Celluloid from CSA, nice stuff. The long streaks fit this kit well. I am hoping this color combo is close enough to that of a local college, of which I am friends with one of the Vice Pres'. ;)
blue_pearl_magtops.jpg

So, as we say here in Naw'Calina, which'en you like most?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, nice cast! That green is beautiful! I'm not a big fan of the Zens, but you've got great fit and finish going on them. What the heck is that gnarly hunk of wood? Pretty cool spiral in that, I've got a hunk of dogwood that looks similar, but it's not as solid as that one. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. :)

redfishsc

Well, take a hint and use it as a photo drop;).

The wood is redtip, my mother cut all hers down last year and saved me a bunch of it. This was the coolest piece.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow , Redfish ! I have to choose ? I like the Blue Pearl & the Horn . What college ? Could it be , UNC ? BTW , I love your state ! And can't wait to go back . Wish I could settle around Mooresville some day . Nice pens , you do good work ! [8D]

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by redfishsc

Well, take a hint and use it as a photo drop;)....

Well, when I say that mine's not as solid as yours, that's to say that I'm afraid to touch it, let alone bring it into my photo booth...it's really bad. I'm trying to figure out how to stabilize it from a distance! heh

It's still outside in the 'should I or shouldn't I?' pile. [:p]

redfishsc

Thanks for the comments all! These mag-tops are a hoot to make. Easy, fun, and only a little costly. I have 5 more to make that are wood, they will be done with a different batch of wood pens.

VisExp

Those look great. My favorite is the Crushed Shell acrylic.

The Zen pens are starting to grow on me. I see a lot of possibilities for segmenting :D My only concern is that sharp corner where the nib goes into the blank. I like the look of it but wonder if it makes the pen uncomfortable to write with?

Top Bottom