"Under the Boardwalk"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RonSchmitt

RonSchmitt

First, I know, pic is lousy. Left my tripod and tent at work, but gotta deliver this pen tomorrow.

I got some wood from the last time they replaced the Boardwalk in Atlantic City NJ. The wood is Ipe, nasty looking on the outside, STINKS when cut + drilled, but when you get inside it has some real nice grain and swirls. It is also by far THE hardest wood I have turned so far. Had to stop and sharpen the skew 3 times.

Time to go dull the bandsaw blade and cut up the rest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by rlharding

Karl, with your allergies you are supposed to wear a mask.

I do wear a mask!

Spider Man's my favorite, although I do like to switch it up with my blue Power Ranger or Casper, so when the neighbors peek in they never know who's in here. I like to keep it fresh, you know...

Muhahha! :D

myname1960

Originally posted by karlkuehn

Originally posted by rlharding

Karl, with your allergies you are supposed to wear a mask.

I do wear a mask!

Spider Man's my favorite, although I do like to switch it up with my blue Power Ranger or Casper, so when the neighbors peek in they never know who's in here. I like to keep it fresh, you know...

Muhahha! :D

Lol too funny
Ya need to wear the Hulk mask with the big hands that go along with it so you can turn bigger pens with ease.

bitshird

Ron, Ipe is the hardest wood known, ipe is an incredibly hard and durable wood species. It is roughly one hundred and twenty-six percent harder than wenge, and over two thirds harder than santos mahogany's ranking of 2200. it has a Janka rating of over 3600, White oak has a ranking of 1360, I can't imagine what it's like after years of curing.:D:D
wish I could see your picture[:eek:)]

RonSchmitt

Originally posted by bitshird

I can't imagine what it's like after years of curing.:D:D
Kinda like concrete. Went to cut some more today, will go get new bandsaw blade tomorrow! THAT STUFF IS NASTY!!!! But worth the effort, managed 1 more pen out of it today and will get a clear pic in the A.M. and post it . It has a LOT of figure to it, and polishes up real well.
If anyone is interested, I have more than I know what to do with and more coming(never turn down good looking wood:D) Drop me a pm and we can talk trade or sale.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by bitshird

Ron, Ipe is the hardest wood known, ipe is an incredibly hard and durable wood species. It is roughly one hundred and twenty-six percent harder than wenge, and over two thirds harder than santos mahogany's ranking of 2200. it has a Janka rating of over 3600, White oak has a ranking of 1360, I can't imagine what it's like after years of curing.:D:D

I thought Lignum Vitae was the hardest wood?

Top Bottom