The "Other" Snake Skin - CRACKED!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

I held my breath the whole time. It came out nice in the end. No major issues actually. Pheewww.

It is a Snakewood Baron, BLO / CA finish, with a Platinum Kit.

I have a feeling that when I get to work today and show it to one of my repeat customers, it will be gone. Good thing I got a photo or two first.

snakewoodbaron.jpg

snakewoodbaron2.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Fangar

Fangar

Thanks guys! I purchased the blank from BB at arizona silhouette. I think it was about 4.50 or so. Very small though. Just at 5/8". So drilling for the Baron is like a project in nuclear calibration (Ok I made that up). He sells some nice stock. He does not mess around with sending you anything other than the best in my experience.

The price is set high! [:D]

I know she will... "Bite".

Cheers,

James

EDIT:

I just checked back. He sells 3/4" for 4.95. DOH!

James

gpadgham

Hrmmm, I get stuff from BB regularly... can't say I've noticed the Snakewood before... guess I'll be adding that to my BB order list... Unfortunately, that list usually grows faster than I can make it shrink... heh

its_virgil

Beautiful pen. Beautiful finish. Excellent job overall. I love snakewood but....I hope it doesn't crack. I love ebony, the olive wood from Israel, and snakewood, but I'm tired of getting returns that have cracked. Hope you have better luck with the snakewood than I have.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

gpadgham

I also understand Snakewood can crack pretty readily. Anyone know how soon that happens after turning or finishing? I'd make some, but wonder how long I should keep them in stock to ensure they are stable enough to sell / give away.

WoodChucker

That's a beautiful pen for sure! I love the colors,is that the way it came or did you dye it? All the other ones I've seen have been brown. I like them too,but this one is really different, great job!

JimGo

James, that is beautiful! Great job all around - shape, finish, and photo!

Gerrit, from what I understand, it isn't necessarily a time-based issue; it is typically environmental.

tinker

Wow, that is what I mean by man made materials not matching natural wood for appeal. That is a beautiful pen. Baron pens are definitely on my list to do now.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful pen, James. I wish you better luck than I have had with snakewood. The last of the pens I made from snakewood just developed a crack after nearly eight months of use. From now on I only make snakewood upon customer request and I do not warranty nor guarantee them against cracking. Same thing with Gaboon ebony.

Deere41h

WOW!!!That is really beautiful. Nice job. Thanks for sharing it with us. Makes me want to try snakewood even with it's reputation.

BigRob777

Wow,
No wonder snakewood is so expensive. That is a tremendous job and the finish looks perfect. I hope the rock didn't scratch it. I like everything about it.
I have a half blank of the material that I'm saving until I have a good number of pens under my belt.

Fangar

Thanks to all very much. I got some serious interest today when I showed the pen around. So much so that I decided to keep it for myself [:D]. I figure it will intrique a lot of interest for me that way. Also, with the questions of cracking raised, it won't matter to me. I'll watch and see. I plan on getting a few more of the blanks though, just for the vaults.

James

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Great looking pen James...
now you made me go and do it.. was placing an order with Bill anyway, so added 2 snakewood 3/4" blanks to it...

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Great looking pen James...
now you made me go and do it.. was placing an order with Bill anyway, so added 2 snakewood 3/4" blanks to it...

Great! It has to be done. I end up ordering from Bill at least once a month, usually twice. Been busy.

2 days and no cracks.... Gulp.

James

Rifleman1776

The responses, including mine, say it all. Beautiful. This pen has drawn a lot of attention. The expressions of admiration support my philosophy that the beauty is all in the wood. [and some other natural products] The craftsmanship brings that beauty out. Some here do it better than the rest of us. Your selection of wood and craftsmanship epitomize what we are striving for.

MDWine

I guess you don't need one more weighing in, especially in light of my lack of experience... but I gotta say one thing...

WOW!

That sure is a pretty pen... in all respects! I sure hope it doesn't ... you know... c###### (I ain't gonna say it!)

I sure would like to tackle that kind of wood some time.

Very nice job all 'round!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Griz,

Have you turned snakewood successfully? Have you considered having it stabilized?

I only turned one pen, years ago before stabilizing had entered penmaking, when it cracked I was really crushed-haven't turned it since. BUT, would like to make a pen that looks like that if it were stabilized.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Ed, have never turned snakewood... and I heard somewhere it does not take stabilization... I think if it did BillB would offer it that way... I may have to give him a call and ask about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom