A "Kevlar Pen"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rsx1974

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsx1974

Well thats how the material was described to me. Today I ran into a new friend that works with Aircraft "stuff". I happened to show him the pen I turned from solid aluminium rod the other day and he thought it and my other pens were really cool. Well he walked me over to a trash barrel and pulled out some various metal rods and then said "this could be interesting" as he handed me several short very hard, very strong, very light rods. He then said " we put thin sheets of this stuff under aircraft seats to stop small arms fire in "certain" aircraft".

This actual prodct is called Phenolic, here's a description of the net:
Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic.

The stuff I got was in rod form and you could see the layers were actually wound.

It was much harder than any acrylic I've turned but not as bad as the solid Aluminium one I did the other night.

Sorry about the long write up but I gigured it might help answer some questions.

Oh by the way no finish applied just turned and mm through 12000.

20078240312_Kevlar%20Pen.jpg

200782403116_Kevlar%20Pen%20close.jpg

Stevej72

That is a great looking pen the way it is, I don't think you would want to put any other finish on it. It certainly pays to try turning different items into pens. Do you know if that stuff is available anywhere?

Rmartin

Very nice!

I used Phenolic years ago when I used to build houses. It can be found as very fancy crown moldings, but what I have seen in the commercial market looks nothing like what you have.

Very cool,
Rmartin

gerryr

Looks like Phenolic to me, but it isn't Kevlar. Phenolics have been around a very long time, Bakelite being the earliest. Kevlar was developed in 1965 and is actually a fiber while Phenolics are basically a resin that can be used with cloth, paper, and other things.

Good looking pen too.

txcwboy

My 85 yr old father has lots of Phenolic from the Electronics Industry.I turned some many years ago and it was very hard on my breathing.Back before I took PPE too seriously :) ( personal protection equip ) But I agree its not kevlar. Its closer to Micarta or IS micarta actually.Looks canvas based. Nice pen though.

Dave

cueman

Nice pen! Looks like linen based phenolic. This stuff is used in cue building for strength in the joint area. Here's a link to some. http://www.cuestik.com/store/product.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=106&ITEM_ID=5890

rsx1974

Thanks for all the input,

I had never seen or heard of any of this stuff before.

Hopefully it inspires some people.

I do agree about using PPE, dust collection ect......

Thanks Wooly!!!!!![:D]

hughbie

i've seen that stuff before while i was in the navy. it seems to me that it was used for it's insulating properties. but the stuff i saw was in thin sheets, like it was used for table tops for protection. in the sheet form, it didn't want to bend but would actually break/crack. very very hard. i bet that pen is virtually indestructable!

gwilki

Up here in the Great White North, we use phenolic for kitchen cutting boards. For that use, I've only see it in white or grey, though. Our local plastics supplier sells it in thicknesses up to 1"

Grant

DocRon

Nice job, good looking pen.
I am a little confused by this ( my normal state.) Micarta is a phenolic- based material, but Kevlar is not. The latter is used such places as in bullet-proof vests. Your friend said that they used the stuff you have as protection under aircraft seats. I am guessing this is probably Kevlar. As I understand the properties, the fabric absorbs the shock of a penetrating projectile, dissipating the energy and preventing or at least retarding penetration. Not an important issue for a pen. [:D].

Rifleman1776

I agree, the Kevlar and bullet stopping qualities are confusing after looking at the pen. It looks to be of paper phenolic. I have purchased paper phenolic rod from Cope Plastics. http://www.copeplastics.com/docs/index.html
It is an interesting material and has been around for many years. As a rod, it does not have much (almost no) lateral strength. Breaks easily.
The pen is neat and if it is paper phenolic, you may have given others ideas for a new pen blank material.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Paper or Plastic or Kevlar, whatever. No matter what it actually is, that is a VERY nice looking pen. Great job. Awesome fit and finish!!

GK

GaryMGg

Originally posted by rsx1974
Well I've got people thinking, either way whatever the product is it does have a unique feel and texture to it.
John, can you go back and ask your new friend what it is? As long as he doesn't have to kill you after he tells you, you can then share the facts with us. [:D][:D][;)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />I have seen and worked with Kevlar in sheets and line (rope) form, but not in rod. What you have doesn't look like Kevlar that I have used.

Since you have worked with Kevlar, do you have any observations/opinions on how it would be to work with sharp tools like we use? I know gloves are made from it to protect the hands of wood carvers from knives.

Russianwolf

looks more like a carbon fiber laminate than anything else to me, but then I'm not familiar with some of the things you guys have mentioned.

I will say this, If it is in fact Kevlar, keep it out of sunlight (uv) as it degrades pretty rapidly when exposed.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Russianwolf
<br />looks more like a carbon fiber laminate than anything else to me, but then I'm not familiar with some of the things you guys have mentioned.

I will say this, If it is in fact Kevlar, keep it out of sunlight (uv) as it degrades pretty rapidly when exposed.

That's interesting. High end racing canoes are made of Kevlar. They get a lot of exposure to the sun.

Fred

I have two propellers from early WWI that are made from similar material. Both must weigh 100 pounds or so each. According to what I can find out about these props there were from one of the earliest flights of aircraft traveling to Europe. The Smithsonian always wanted my father to 'give' them to the museum, but I have both mounted on my living room wall. They ain't going no where if I can help it.

BTW, your pens are great and very nicely done. [:D]

great12b4ever

I am not sure of the material, kind of reminds me of the small plates used in some of the older electir motors where the wires were connected to the posts, used as insulator plates, but noi matter what it really is, it makes some good looking pens.!!

Rob

almer

Originally posted by rsx1974
<br />Well thats how the material was described to me. Today I ran into a new friend that works with Aircraft "stuff". I happened to show him the pen I turned from solid aluminium rod the other day and he thought it and my other pens were really cool. Well he walked me over to a trash barrel and pulled out some various metal rods and then said "this could be interesting" as he handed me several short very hard, very strong, very light rods. He then said " we put thin sheets of this stuff under aircraft seats to stop small arms fire in "certain" aircraft".

This actual prodct is called Phenolic, here's a description of the net:
Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic.

The stuff I got was in rod form and you could see the layers were actually wound.

It was much harder than any acrylic I've turned but not as bad as the solid Aluminium one I did the other night.

Sorry about the long write up but I gigured it might help answer some questions.

Oh by the way no finish applied just turned and mm through 12000.

20078240312_Kevlar%20Pen.jpg

200782403116_Kevlar%20Pen%20close.jpg
I think cueman is right,ive used stuff like this,looks same for joints,ferrules on pool cues

Chuck Key

Originally posted by almer

I think cueman is right,ive used stuff like this,looks same for joints,ferrules on pool cues

and:

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />you may have given others ideas for a new pen blank material.

Several pens were made from the same or similar material in 2003 or 2004 some of which may pre-date the existance of IAP. Here is one make during that time period for the PFF program.

Chuckie

PS ...and another pen from 2002

Grizzlyss

That is a very nice looking pen. Just a little bit of info for you about working with that material, always wear breathing apparatus with it, as it can cause cancer. The info is from a friend of mine when I was in the Air Force. It is nice stuff to work with, but remember to protect yourself.

Sheldon

rhag1128

I just turned a bottle stopper with the same phenolic resin. Very dusty must wear a mask. I love the way it feels in the hand when sanded. I will be picking up more scraps today at work. Most of what I have is 2-3" diameter tho.

Randy

byounghusband

I have turned this "Phenolic" before... I friend does Pool Cue tip repair and I turned him 1/2 dozen tip bases for cues. Basically platform with a tenon on it that fits inside the shaft of the cue.... Turns just fine....

airrat

I don't know what you all are talking about, looks like a pen to me. [:D]

Dave I am confused by your post? If you don't like the site or posting on it then why bother coming here.

wood-of-1kind

When turning this material, does it have a foul smell? If so, I'm certain that it is indeed PHENOLIC.
I cut many pen blanks out of surplus material but refuse to turn anymore pens out of it. The smell of antler is pale in comparison to this nasty stuff. I do agree that you have a wonderful looking pen out of the material.

-Peter-[:)]

R2

Since I'm relatively new to this forum in terms of time, Ive only just come to see this beautiful pen. it's a wonderful match of kit and material.

I've never seen Phenolic that colour but as Maxwell says it is used for things like router base plates, table tops etc.Roger Gifkins Uses it for his dovetail jig templates and the cutting is done with a CNC router. It is chosed for the purposes described because of it's wear resistance.

Form ply sheeting is also coated with phenolic resin becuase the concrete doesn't stick to it.

cutterwoodjoe

Nice job on the pen, I just saw this post and I too turned this stuff, as an artist pencil with an acrylic add on because the rod was too short, I was told it was bakolite, and yes it does smell awful (worse than antler)

20071212214625_Bakolite.jpg
<br />

It looks exacly the same, so, I'm guessing it was Phenolic also Thanx for the clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom