"I Have Absolutlely No Idea" Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Yup I have absolutely no idea what this wood is... LOL.. found it Sunday while cleaning up in the shop.. it is part of a 6x6x1" block of what I think might be wormy brown oak.. but I really don't know... I don't even have a clue where I got it... [:p]
But it has some real sweet golden brown chatoyance on the front and the sides are a nice light chocolate brown... the block produced a blank cut at a 45 degree angle giving it some nice figure.
You be the judge... I kind of like it...
It was a very porous wood and took a lot of filling to get it smooth.. sanded with BLO, then a couple of coats of CA sanded between coats, then a final CA sanded to 8000MM wet and TSW and Ren Wax.. really glistens...

200542717729_UnknownJrGent.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BogBean

Tom,
Funny thing. I just finished a pen in this very same wood and I have no idea what it is. I hope someone can tell us....

melogic

I can't believe that Tom doesn't know what kind of wood this is. I don't know either but I do know a really GOOD LOOKING pen when I see one! And I see one! Great job Tom! Wish I could help in the identification process of this wood.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
No RT those are some cutoffs from a piece of maple burl I cut into pen blanks...
Lynn, I know it is not desert ironwood... way too soft and I cut it from a 6x6x1" blank that I acquired somewhere.. maybe at my club in a trade .. and it is wormy.. I was kind of hoping the worm holes would extend into the pen area, but they were not deep enough...
Guess the worms were not that hungry... [:p]

jdavis

It is a form of oak. I just processed some post oak on 45 degree angle and have the same grain configuration. Could very well be wormy oak. Alot of oak will have worm holes. Very nice pen and superb finish.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks Jack, that is what I thought also... it is wormy and had a lot of oak characteristics.. but was a lot more brown that most of the oak I have ever worked....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom