"Fat" custom S/L

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cjaussiepens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjaussiepens

This is a pen that has a larger diameter than most, that was made out of bookleaf pine and wattle. It was made using a design that was written up in an article somewhere. It allows different woods to be used in a simple way to make a pen. Cheers.......... Cj ....

2005630215443_MVC-590F%20Jumbo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atvrules1

CJ, that is great, especially for pine. The knot really adds character, and your skills are evident. Fit looks good, and your photography is outstanding. Wish I could get my pictures to turn out half as good.

Rifleman1776

wattle? [?] You used construction materials for building a wall? [:0] Or you used the loose skin from under someone's chin? [:0] [:p] Not sure what you really mean. As to the pen, I looks very fat at the end and might be uncomfortable for small hands to write with. Nice work.

vick

I also would be interested in the article. I just made a pen with the same bottom wood lower than transmision design and am wondering there is a better method than what I came up with.

Scott

Hi guys!

This is a style I enjoy making too! Here's a couple, one old, one new:

20057120456_llp1a.jpg

I wrote an article about this style that came out in More Woodturning about a year ago. But an even better article was done by Angelo Ifrate for the American Woodturner, also about a year ago. Then I just revisited this topic for my column in More Woodturning that will come out in August - I was writing on the topic of modifying the slimline kit.

They're pretty simple to make. Here's a picture of mine pulled apart so you can see what I did:

20057120123_llp2a.jpg

Is this pretty much what you did to make yours?

Scott.

vick

Scott,
I did the same on the lower portion. On the top part of the pen I did not want to leave a section with out a tube. On looking through my spare parts I found that the tubes for the elegant American twist pen were the right size that the 7mm tubes fit inside easily, but not to loose (I think it is an o size tube). So after drilling the 7mm hole in the top I drilled out with the the elegant Americans bit to a little past the remaining length of the bottom tube. I then cut the top tubes to size so it has an O in the lower portion of the upper tube and a 7mm in the top portion.
tn_SlimLineMod1.jpg

Scott

Hey Mike,

That is an excellent idea! It would solve one of the problems with this style of pen. A lot of them you'll see will be fatter so that there will be more "meat" where there is no brass tube. Fat isn't bad, but this would allow it to be turned much thinner without worry of cracking.

It would also solve another problem, that of the top barrel being a tad loose where it meets with the bottom section. I haven't really had that problem, but it can happen. Angelo turns a little tenon on one side and a recess on the other to insure a secure fit. But using the brass tube should accomplish that just fine.

Thanks!

Scott.

cjaussiepens

G'day all....... sorry for the late reply,have been away.... I think most of the questions have been answered ..... it is too "fat for some hands but is good to hold with medium size ones and because of the pine wood it is still light to use. Justin will get the flag up and running asap....... thanks all.... Cj .........

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by cjaussiepens
<br />G'day all....... sorry for the late reply,have been away.... I think most of the questions have been answered ..... it is too "fat for some hands but is good to hold with medium size ones and because of the pine wood it is still light to use. Justin will get the flag up and running asap....... thanks all.... Cj .........
you didn't answer my question about the kit.[:(]

cjaussiepens

Eagle ........ I posted a reply a bit earlier but it didn't seem to work....... just as well I can handle the lathe a bit better !!!!!!!! sorry I didn't answer your question as I value your comments. It was a slimline except for the cap and clip off a euro......... Regards .....Cj ...........[:I][:I][:I]

cjaussiepens

Good God .... I'll get this right yet !!!!!!!! I don't know what you call them over there but they are the monte blanc thingoes, the threaded plug fits into the 7 mm tube and the cap screws on holding the clip in place....... Cj .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom